unstable internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CubsnCards, Mar 20, 2009.

1. CubsnCards

CubsnCards Private First Class

My dell laptop is constantly dropping the internet connection and picking it back up. Its between this computer and the router as my HP laptop can be using the same connection and not experiencing a drop.

windows xp
    symantec endpoint
    Belkin Nvision router on comcast
    dell wireless 1350 Wlan mini PCI card
    yes I do have a 2.4 ghz phone but it is not being utilized while the problem occurs.

thanks in advance

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Have you tried updating drivers on card?
    XP all up to date?
    Same thing happening in Safe Mode with Networking?
    Did this just start happening, any software or hardware changes recently?
    Tried reseating card?

3. CubsnCards

xp and drivers up to date.
    I could not even get online in safe mode with networking

not sure how to reseat card, its been going for awhile now no updates besides the drivers and xp.

It was having the internet troubles before and i downloaded new driver from dell to no avail.

I'm also going to let the windows wireless config manage the network instead of the dell manager.

4. CubsnCards

#!@$& sometimes its the easiest things. I've not dropped since I stopped using the dell wireless configuration. While it may not seem like a large sample size before it was dropping a couple of times every 10 minutes.

Thanks for the thoughts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds