Connecting a wireless and an ethernet computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thaib, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Thaib

Thaib Private E-2

I have a PC with ethernet card and Windows XP and a laptop with wireless conncection with Windows Vista. They can both connect to internet via router but I can't connect them to each other. I tried setting up the network with every option under Network Connections on both computers but it says try different options. My router is a Zyxel P-660HW. What can I do now?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

To create a network that shares files, first you need to have both computers in the same workgroup, and to make things easier, you should have an account on each comp that is identical - name, password and account type. Once these are correct, then you need to share items. These can be files, folders or actual hard drives.
    Please see the below articles for information and specific sharing procedures. You should also make sure your comps are fully updated.
    Possible roadblocks are firewall issues and anti-virus programs.

EZLAN - Sharing Disk Drives Between Computers on Windows Network
    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    File and Printer Sharing in Vista

Post back if you have any problems.
    Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds