Question about CPU temps.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hrlow2, Mar 21, 2009.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

My CPU(according to SpeedFan and HWMonitor) runs at 147F(64C) while online and folding with F@H at the same time.
    Without F@H active, temps drop to130F(55C). Does this seem OK.
    From what I can figure out from Processor Finder, Should be good.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7E6
    Am I correct in assuming that their Thermal Specification is the max rated temp?

2. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Im not really sure i had a pentium 4 3.4ghz processor but ive never actually looked at the temps, it was in a dell XPS system so i assumed that it always ran at the correct temps, i have a core i7 now, and i am constantly looking at my temps to make sure this baby stays cool and lasts for ever, and personally i run at about 22C idle and like 35-45C under a load.

If anything upgrade your heatsink to something better and see if that helps, or, just reapply some thermal grease, since pent 4s are old CPUs the thermal grease has probably long since used up its time.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Borsung
    As stated, temps are constant and steady. Has been running for 1 week straight with no downtime.
    Link to Processor Finder I provided shows a Thermal Specification of 72.3C.
    Would that be the critical meltdown point?
    If so, I am in good shape.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I will suggest you to buy another cpu cooler (i'm serious),cos pentium 4 above 3.0ghz can be too much PITA with the temps.YES,they can generate very high temps,and they are build to exceed this temps.BUT why risking and lose the cpu due to overheating.My advice get bigger one,specialy when you are in folding now.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think that is a bit premature and I note if that is a retail version of the CPU and it came with a heatsink fan (HSF) assembly, you VOID THE WARRANTY if you use ANY cooling solution other than the one provided!

65°C is a bit high for me, though I would not be panicky yet. But I would like to see it come down to 60°C or below. Yes it is normal for temps to rise with F@H is running because F@H taxes the CPU by design. And that's okay, as CPUs are designed to run full speed full time, if properly cooled.

While it is the responsibility of the CPU HSF assembly to remove the heat away from the CPU, it is the case's responsibility to remove the heat from the case. So, assuming the CPU HSF is not stuffed full of heat trapping dust, you need to make sure you have adequate front-to-back air flow through the case. I recommend you inspect the interior of the case for (1) additional fan options (2) bigger fan options - cases typically come with 80mm case fans. 120mm fans move massive amounts of air, but at a lower RPM, so they are quieter too.

Intel CPU Warranty Information (my bold added)
    Intel warrants the Product (defined as the boxed Intel® processor and the accompanying thermal solution)... ... if the Product is properly used and installed, for a period of three (3) years. This Limited Warranty does NOT cover:
    • damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing; OR
    • any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel's publicly available specifications

AMD CPU Warranty Information (their bold)
    AMD is more straightforward on their page where it says the following concerning their retail, Processor In A Box (PIB), versions of their CPUs:
    This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
    The good news is since both AMD and Intel warranty their boxed CPUs for three years, and since replacing them at their cost is not something they want to do, both make excellent cooling solutions both in terms of cooling abilities, but also in noise levels.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Not too many options in this machine. Gateway E4100 . Might be 3 1/2 inches across. One of the skinny upright towers.
    Have drilled some extra vent holes in the side and that caused a 2-3C drop in temps.

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Hrlow,how old is your comp?
    Digerati,I know about the warranty.Since is pentium 4,I presume that his comp is more than 3 years old.That's why I thought that IF the comp is not under warranty he can replace the HS.Sorry for misunderstanding.

8. Digerati

"Micro Tower Desktop" - hmmm, that's a bit funny - towers stand up on end, desktops lay flat - there is no real such thing as a "Tower Desktop". Oh well - marketers. :(

Yeah, micro ATX cases don't provide much in the way of any options - including the use of 3rd party CPU HSFs. I note in this picture there is a large vent on the right side. Can't really tell by the interior picture if you could put a fan there, but if you put the case in a tower orientation with that vent on top, it may allow for chimney effect to move more heat out, if enough cool air can be drawn in from below.

You may have to give up F@H. Perhaps you can check out some BOINC Projects instead. BOINC allows you to toggle back on CPU percentage usage, thus keeping temps in check.

The other alternative is to buy a case more suited to your computing habits, one that can easily remove the heat from the case interiors, without sounding like a jet roaring through the house.

Good point! And I hope I did not cause any misunderstandings!

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sadly, unknown how old machine is.(no b'day party for it then).
    Is older socket478, 3.4GHz HT.
    Since 478, I would guess at least 5-6 years old. Bought used but refurbed from eBay.
    Warranty WAY out of the question. Knew that going in.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Digerati
    That vent you saw is the exhaust vent. CPU cooling fan is directly below it with a plastic shroud to direct the heat out through the vent.
    Nice machine and has been at this temp(stable) for 1 1/2 weeks 24/7 with no complaints.
    Any problems should have shown up before this length of time.
    I'm staying on the team.

11. Digerati

Then I suspect you will be fine, though you need to keep an eye on the temps for sure, and do regular inspections of the interior, then clean as necessary.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I would expect a 3Ghz P4 to be new enough to incorporate Intel's thermal self protection technology.

This is in two parts.

Firstly as things heat up excessively the processor reduces speed to keep temepratures safe.

If this does not work there is a temperature trip which shuts the processor down above a preset level.

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Must be OK. Still showing at 3.4GHz.

14. Digerati

Most CPUs have had self protecting code for a long time, but not as you describe, except for CPUs designed specifically for mobile use. That is, most CPUs designed for PCs (not notebooks) do not toggle down in CPU speed, though they may signal the chipset to turn up the fan speeds. However, desktop CPUs "should" shut down completely if they get too hot. The problem is a CPU can get super hot, very fast if a fan suddenly seizes or something similar.

Also, though probably not a problem here, long term exposure to abnormally high temps can increase aging of the CPU socket and surrounding components. Over time, fatigue sets in, and microfractures can form, and potentially result in failure.

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'd agree, 3GHz is new emough in that range to have TCC built in to throttle the CPU cycles to 50% in order to cool the CPU before it hits critical temps, had it in a old P4 1.7ghz CPU I had.

Section 7.3 offers enough reading for coffee and cake time.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sounds like you need some case fans hrlow! If you are running FAH on your CPU, you can reduce the % of the CPU's power that folding uses if you have problems in the summer.

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Fred_G
    Not much(none) room to add any fans.
    Case is a Micro Tower.( 3.75 in.W x 12 in. H x 16.25 in D ).
    Have drilled some extra vent holes in the side(top?) for better flow. Dropped temps about 2-3C.

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3.75" wide? Wow. But there is always room for more fans if you are up to a bit of case modding. :-D Just cut out the hole for the fan on the case, drill holes to mount the fan and a make sure you can get the power wire in, and mount the fan on the outside of the case. You can buy cheap fan guards if you want to keep all your fingers. ;)

Sorry, can't resist. See, that is thinking outside of the box. :-D

19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Knew somrthing like that was coming. Just didn't know from where.;)

20. Digerati

Well, if you remove the cover and point a desk fan at the motherboard, and the temps drop say to the mid 50s or below, that's a clear indication your case is not supporting your computing habits.

I'm still not sure on that. Now if this were a laptop application, (and some makers were using mobile P4s in PCs) I would agree because in all mobile applications, heat and battery conservation are big issues. Not so for a properly setup PC.

Unfortunately, the referenced Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor in the 478-pin PackageThermal Design Guidelines from your link above is not too clear either, with some conflicting information. But I think it supports my position.

In Section 2.4 Thermal Management Logic and Thermal Monitor Feature, I note the following:
    Section 2.4.1 Processor Power Dissipation
    Section 2.4.3 Operation and Configuration
    Section 2.4.4 System Considerations (introduces the conflict)
    ...but in the next paragraph says,
    "Encouraged" is not a requirement - unless talking to kids ;)
    You are right the 478-pin P4 has some thermal protection coding on die, but I will reiterate we should not assume a PC based P4, ESPECIALLY if using an entry level motherboard, has all safety features enabled. I do think it is safe to say all CPUs today will attempt to shut down before they fry. Those used in mobile applications, for sure, toggle down.

All bets are off if overclocking.

21. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

No OC'ing permitted with this motherboard. Not supported in BIOS. First thing I checked on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds