Help identify this drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigShot, Mar 24, 2009.

1. BigShot

BigShot Private First Class

Hi folks.
    Aldi (if you don't know, it's a budget supermarket which runs some great special offers) is selling some computer hardware this Thursday. (Only in the UK as far as I'm aware)

I'm trying to identify the external hard drive they are selling so I can get some reviews before I run out and buy one.
    http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_9235.htm

Also, if anyone has expereince of this drive, or can suggest a good alternative for a similar price please feel free to add them to the thread too.

Cheers.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The brand that they are selling if the pic is accurate is a Medion, which is pretty popular line for them to sell normally, not had experience of their External drives, but likely the hardware HDD itself will come from a well known brand as not many makers of HDDs.

But how about this Western Digital 1TB External @ £74.99 from PCWorld? Well known brand and a brand I personally like alot.

Only thing is the Medion is from the spec eSata, so do you have an external eSATA port on your PC? as dont know if it comes with adapter for USB2.0 or not *most do but cannot honestly say this does or not, you'd need to check the box or call Aldi up as they must have the stock in now* , whereas the Western Digital one is USB2.0 connection only.

3. BigShot

BigShot Private First Class

I'm not too clued up on my ports, but I'm pretty sure I don't have an eSATA on here. USB, FireWire, Various connectivity bits and pieces, yes. But no eSATA.

I'd been doing a bit of digging around between posting the thread and reading your response and had come up with Medion too. I've found (so far) that Aldi's special offer pics tend to be pretty accurate.
    I don't suppose you (or anyone else - folks?) have any idea what hardware might be in there do you?

I'd quite like to get a proper review and compare it to some others before I buy one so I can make sure I'm putting my money in the right place.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds