MotherBoard advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not-Compat, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

I have a Intel Pentium D 965 Extreme Edition cpu and i am looking for a good motherboard that its going to work with.. i dont really know anything about motherboards thats why i need some advice! i have 8 gb of ram so id like it to allow that and i have vista x64 so i would like it to allow that as well :) Thanks in advance!!!

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to define 3 things first, (1) your budget, (2) the purpose of this computer, and (3) Type of RAM and how configured - 8 x 1Gb? 2 x 4Gb?

You can certainly find a budget board for under $100 or you can find an extreme board for several hundred. Do you need on-board sound? On-board graphics? What will this computer be used for? Serious gaming, or work, school, Internet, email, and maybe a DVD movie? The motherboard you get MUST support both the CPU, and that specific type of RAM.

3. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Hi thanks for ur reply! well i have just built this pc with presler 965 ee, nvidia 8600gt graphics card, and 8 gb or ram 4 2 gb moduals ddr2 pc2-8500, i ended up buying a second hand motherboard which was a asus p5wd2-e premium for it all to plug into. i know ive skimpt out on something i should of spent the money on. since i first powered it up, and ive tried a few different operating systems ive had serious memory issues. the system is seriously strained just by doing normal things. like listening to music. it really struggles to play a dvd there is lots of popping and other sounds. i made this pc because i wanted to build a recording studio on. but when i open up cubase the sound is underlined with a faint crackle underneith. my old pc a packardbell which was nothing up to this one was alot better at handling the stress from it all! thats why i just want rid of it. motherboard.. and buy one thats going to work as it should. i just want it stable so i can do everything i want to on here. namely make music. but to do normal things to like watch movies. listen to music. surf the net.:) the price doesnt really matter as long as its going to work with my cpu and everything else.

4. Digerati

Well, it takes very little horsepower or RAM to listen to music - a small CPU and 1Gb of RAM is more than enough. So if you have crackling in your audio now, it is not because the system or RAM is having serious memory issues. How much free disk space do you have and how is your page file setup.

Do you have an adequate power supply?

I suspect your problem is 64-bit drivers - not always a sure thing.

5. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Hi :) . in performance options i have processor scheduling set to programs and memory usage set to programs. in virtual memory i have it set to system managed size. i have a 300 gb harddrive in here and i have a 600 watt psu. i have tried everything to see what it is with out no joy.. i have installed normal xp and it was the same. xp x64 (which im using now) and its still the same and when i install vista x64 i get a error saying my graphics card is only 26kb. all the see through windows arent even there ( i have ultimate) thats why i have gone back to xp x64. i thought it might be something to do with my graphics card because of when i installed vista and when it pops the mouse goes all light like when u havent a graphics card driver installed. ive tested with memtest and its fine. no problems at all. ive checked directx, and theres no problems. :confused

6. Digerati

Well, from you last post, it seems like there might be an issue with graphics - perhaps you should try a different card.

7. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Yes but im not 100% sure it is because the only thing i used from my old pc on this one was the graphics card. i used to have a packard bell with vista x64 installed on there and it was perfect. the graphics card worked fine. could it be the motherboard or maybe it has issues with the motherboard.

8. Digerati

Yes, it could be the motherboard - but verifying a bad graphics card is easier.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, seems like you have a HW issue. Try reseating the card with the power off. BTW, there is no 26kb card.;)

10. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Ok thanks ill try that 1st. but it was a second hand motherboard like i said. it cost me £30 ( i was being a pink *** trying not to spend any more) its the only thing i didnt buy that wasnt new. i got a spare nvidia card but its a really crap 1. ill give it ago.

11. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Hi thanks for ur reply.
    what is a hw issue. sorry i havent ever heard of that before :-o
    ok i will try that now. with the power off ha :-D

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehe HW means 'hardware issue', sorry about that.

13. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Hi. right i just installed nVidia GeForce 6200 and its still the same. it hasnt changed at all. another thing is sometimes it goes away for a few mins and its completly normal. i can open up multiple apps at once. but always clicks back to how it is now. i made sure it is sitting correctly onto the motherboard when i just tested it so it cant be that either :confused

14. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

I feel stupid :-o :-D

15. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

To answer your question from your original post...

get this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188043

Will work wonders for you and if you ever plan on upgrading to a duo/quad CPU you will be fine, and it has good slots to upgrade your Vid card. Good board that will last you quite some time!

EDIT: also supports your RAM! :)

16. Not-Compat

Not-Compat Private E-2

Thanks borsung. :) it looks good. i dont know any others so i might as well buy this one :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds