Cant save to CD ROM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joe berg, Mar 24, 2009.

1. joe berg

joe berg Private E-2

Hi All

trying to sell my old PC so I was trying to put some decent programmes on but for some reason I cant save to the CD. I can play Music from it and open files fron CD but When I try and save to it the drive does not even come up as an option. Any ideas as I don't want to sell it with a fault.

Cheers

Joe

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

A few questions:

What is your OS?

Does device manager correctly ID the drive?

Is the drive listed under My Computer?

This may simply be a Send To issue, I hope...

3. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Is the drive a CD-ROM (Read-Only-Memory), or a CD-RW (Read & Write) unit. If it's the former then you can't write to the drive.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have a burning program on your computer?

5. dmark83

dmark83 Private E-2

Hi Joe,
    I have the same problem but with both my cd & dvd drives. I'm running XP Pro.
    Can anyone help us?

6. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

The obvious question is the one asked by Puppywonder, are these CD/DVD RW drives, or just DVD or CD drives. Also what media are you using, CD/DVD R/RW +/-etc.

7. dmark83

dmark83 Private E-2

Thanks so much for your reply. All of you.
    Yes, both drives are RW drives. More specifically, they are as follows
    LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW
    SONY CD-RW CRX-320E
    The media I am attempting to write to are DVD-R 8X 4.7gb
    recordable, blank DVD's. Brand new, never used.
    My OS is XP-PRO and to my knowledge, I do not have a burner program installed. Device Manager i.d's both drives as working and enabled. In fact, both drives are reading just fine. Both drives are playing audio, video dvd's & running program/software as they should. But, no writing .
    Something else, when trying use the backup wizard, it did not even allow/show these 2 drives as options to copy my files to. The wizard only lists C; (Hard drive) and my 3.5 floppy drive as available media to backup to.
    Yes, embarrassing as it may be, I still do have a 3.5 drive onboard
    Maybe this is too much info, but i still have'nt found a fix and I really do need, and really do thank everyone for their ongoing support. MajorGeeks Rock!

dmark83

8. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

A CD-RW CRX-320E well theres one prob. I owned one of these, terrible drive. However, the problem I always had with burning was the burner. Nero, the one I find to be consistantly the best is much more effective than just using XP to burn to a disk, and can pick up media that xp might not recognise. I would sugegst using another brand of disc first and foremost and see if you get the same problem, and installing a burner, there are plenty of free ones floating around if you dont want to buy one. Often some media are just not recognised by some drives esp the CRX-320E.

the backup wizard not recognising the dvds btw might just be because you cant backup to dvd not that it does not work. I cant recall off the top of my head but someone else here will know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds