GTX 280 + Horrible card = no performance loss?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by op2rules, Mar 24, 2009.

1. op2rules

op2rules Private E-2

Hey guys I was wondering, since the GTX 280 most likely will both
    a) not run cossacks (best rts ever)
    b) kick ***

Ok this is bad wording... Ill just explain it as it is

I want to add an extra video card in an open PCIE slot with my GTX 280. I was wondering (as I don't have the build yet to test anything out) even if the cards arent in sli, will I be able to use an extra monitor? Will having a good video card and a shit video card cause a performance loss?

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I don't understand?
    Do you want to use two different graphic cards in sli? NO WAY.
    Do you try to tell us that the 280 gtx is no good card?NO WAY.
    Yes,you can plug another monitor in 280.C'mon man this card is monster!!
    From what are you shure that 280 suck.

3. op2rules

op2rules Private E-2

I will be using 2 monitors, but say I want to add a third, would adding some piece of junk (8400 gs for example) work? Would it decrease performance?

Also I have a game that only works on older cards, can I have an older card in at the same time as gtx 280?

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You should be able to use the second GPU to run another monitor. If you are not in SLI, it will install drivers and be usable. Windows should see both cards, and allow you to hook up one or two more monitors. You could possibly run into some compatibility issues with games with that setup, but in my experience, one card seems to be the 'main' card and the other is just secondary.

I besides a few possible hardware conflicts, I don't see where the second card would impede the performance of the main GPU.

Dual cards do put out more fan noise and will need a beefy PSU.

Heck, try 3DMark06 with your current setup, then try it with the other card and monitor. I am curious about it. :-D

http://majorgeeks.com/3DMark06_d4935.html

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds