ps/2 and usb ports quit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mudchild2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mudchild2

mudchild2 Private E-2

I moved my pc a few inches forward to access the back, then my keyboard (ps/2 port) and mouse (usb port) quit working. I've tried the other usb ports and they will not work either.
    Tried rebooting, clearing cmos, and checked for blown or leaking capacitors.
    PC boots fine, but the ports won't work, so no keyboard or mouse, cannot enter bios.
    Tried both keyboard and mouse on another pc and they work fine.

Could the ports on the mobo just quit like that?
    Anyway to fix them or something I've missed?
    Very frustrating!

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Hi Mudchild2 and welcome to MGs! Since you said that your machine boots okay, my guess is that your ports are gone. Since they are integrated into the MB, there is no way to replace them. However, a solution would be to buy a $5.00 PCI USB card, plug it into an empty PCI slot, install the drivers (if needed) and you're good to go. Of course, you'd also have to use a USB keyboard, but at least you'd be up and running again. If you didn't want to buy a new keyboard, you could probably use a ps2 to USB adaptor, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ers+and+gender+changers-_-STARTECH-_-12200145 Hope this helps!!

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

By just pulling the computer out, it seems odd the ports would stop working - I can see pulling the plugs out, but not destroying the interface. Perhaps the metal shielding of one of the connectors came into contact with something else, and some excessive current (for that particular) circuit blew something - it does not take much.

I would pull all USB devices from the computer and connect only a (different) PS/2 keyboard. Then, with the power cord removed - pull the battery - if more than 3 years old, just replace it. Take the old battery to your local battery/camera/battery counter as most recycle.

Do not touch a good battery with your bare skin as the oils promote corrosion and attract dust - I put a clean sock over my hand. If using the old battery, keep it removed for about 1 minute, clean with the sock and replace. If the new, then I am sure it took you longer than 1 minute to buy a new one, so you have waited long enough. ;)

Then boot directly into the BIOS (if it will let you) - set the date and time, then Save and Exit. If that does not work, then the adapter may do the trick. If not, you are only out $5 (well, plus a new motherboard :(). But I would look around for another pair of USB ports - perhaps on the front of the case - they are often on a different controller than the serial controller used for the rear panel I/O area.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds