Speedstream 4100 and Linksys wrt54g

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by esuule, Mar 25, 2009.

1. esuule

esuule Private E-2

My brother couldn't remember his WEP key for wireless access so he called me for help since I managed to find the key on a router at his in-law's house. For some reason the default username and password for the router (Linksys wrt54g I think) wasn't working so I suggested he reset his router to make sure everything went back to default so he could go in and assign a new WEP key that he wouldn't forget.

He reset the router but then the internet wouldn't work at all. He tried turning the modem off and on again and plugging his computer directly into the modem but that didn't work either. I don't really know what could have happened to make his modem not work. I'm not sure of what all he did either. He uses AT&T if that makes any difference.

Any help would be much appreciated in how to make the modem work again so we can fix the router problem so he can use the internet. Thanks a lot!

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I'm also with AT&T (used to be BellSouth) and ever since AT&T took over, I used have to type my WEP key in everytime I tried to connect to the internet. That grew old quick, so I contacted their support desk and they told me how to disable the WEP all together. They give you an address to type in and e-mailed very explicit instructions on how to do it. Ever since I disabled it, I've no problems whatsoever. I don't if that helps much, but it's a start.

3. Courtesy

Courtesy Private E-2

If you have the 4100 Speedstream, check and make sure the DSL and Internet lights are on. There is a possiblity that your PPPoE connection was set on the Router. When you reset the router it usually wipes out your connection settings. You can access the modem thru the gateway address of 192.168.0.1. Put that address in your browser address bar.

This will take you to the home page of the modem. Your username and password info is located here. If the username and password info is blank, that means your connection was definately made on the router. You can restore connectivity on the modem by applying the password and username info back into the appropriate fields.

BTW, the username is the email address provided by the internet service provider.

Hope this helps :)
    Courtesy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds