Odd freezing issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdmctigger, Mar 26, 2009.

1. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

A few days ago when starting up the computer there was some error (I wasn't present at the error and this is the best description I can get of it) where the computer kicked you into one of the startup menus and asked you where to boot windows from (from the hard drive, a removable disc or something else). Once windows started up the desktop froze and a few seconds later the tower started buzzing/whining and we had to do a hard reset to get it running again.

After the hard reset the computer ran fine for the rest of the day but the freeze/whine happened again this morning and we had to reset the computer again.

The regular user of the computer uses nothing but autocad and e-mail and isn't the most technologically savvy person so I have trouble believing it is virus related. I also run regular spyware and virus scans and I've never turned up even one piece of spyware on the computer.

The only thing which comes close to this in my experience is when the motherboard started to die on an old computer in my family but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I started sounding the doom gong.

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

First backup all your useful data now (In case of hardware failure)

Buzzing and whining once windows was up and running combined with the fact of the desktop freeze leads me to suspect the HD (hard drive)

If you are doing your scans I do not think it's spy/malware

NOTE: I have repaired systems that buzzed and sounded like a kirby vacuum by simply making sure the internal cables are not contacting any fans and checking all fans and heatsinks for dust. Definitely check this first--Remember to power off and unplug your pc b4 opening

3. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

Thank you, someone else suggested checking the HD too so I figured I take a look inside today.

I already backed up all perishable data onto another computer on the network so I feel free poking around inside now, it will help to have something specific to look for, thank you again.

4. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

I actually did find a wire in the fan and pulled it out but that didn't solve the problem. I finally got to see the error screen and I think it's a RAID issue.

I couldn't get a print screen but here is a snapshot.

[​IMG]

I have a backup hard drive ready to go just in case we need to scrap the existing hard drives but I figured I'd stop here and figure out if anyone knows what steps I could take to repair a RAID array because that seems to be where the problem is.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I would reconcile the Setup issues first, and check the CMOS battery to see if it needs a replacement. After that, then I'd get crackin' on the rest...

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I agree with the mekanic, replace the CMOS battery, then see if you can set your BIOS to boot from the hard drive with your OS on it.

Also, that shows your RAID to be RAID 1 Mirrored. That means both drives have the exact same info on them.

7. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

Well, the thing won't even start up now so the question is: Is there any way to go from a RAID setup to a single hard drive setup? I have an extra hard drive but the computer is still looking for the second drive on startup. I'm not really the most knowledgeable hardware person but I take direction well if anyone can point me in the right direction.

EDIT:
    The other question would be: Could I mix and match? The HDD I have is a 500gb and the RAID setup is two 80gb's. I doubt I'd want a RAID 1 setup but if I could set it to just mirror files in a certain section or keep one of the 80gb's as extra space that would work fine. The problem is I have no idea if the drives are going bad, if the RAID setup is bad, which is the main and which is the mirror... Basically I ploughed ahead without figuring some of this stuff out because I was in a rush.

8. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

Nevermind, I was working with a convoluted version of BIOS, I found what I needed.

9. the mekanic

convoluted? Wow, say that ten times fast...

:-D

"The greatest solutions are those that make us smack out foreheads."

-Mr. Omega

10. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

This computer has given me nothing but trouble, only $10 words can accurately describe my anguish.

Well, here is where I stand so far:

I got rid of the original error message, the computer somehow got set to search for a diskette drive which wasn't there so I told it not to look for the drive anymore. Apparently it's a regular problem with Dell computers.

This, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be what was causing the freezing (or at least I can't figure out why something so simple would and I can't find another person with the same error message reporting freezing). So now I set the whole stupid thing back up in it's original format and am going to wait for it to freeze again.

If I can figure out what makes it freeze after fixing one of the issues then I'm golden, until then I'm just confused and annoyed.

So, now I'm back to a possible HDD failure or a virus which Avast can't detect... I checked up on the CMOS battery and I'm not sure that is it. I'm not getting any of the error messages associated with a CMOS battery issue (or at least none that I can find) so if someone could enlighten me on what to look for I'll keep my eyes out.

EDIT: Oh, and I still never figured out how to disable RAID even after updating the BIOS and RAID software. I think I can chalk this up to my own stupidity but I really don't see the options in BIOS I think I should be seeing. I can't delete the array, I tried disabling the array in the boot sequence but no luck.

11. the mekanic

The reason I mentioned CMOS was because of the screenshot. BIOS was prompting to be set, unless you had reset it and not mentiond it.

I just read another thread as of late regarding HDD issues, and if you haven't already, scan the HDDs to determine their state.

Also, do a memory test to ensure there are no errors with the sticks. This can, and will cause data to be erroneously written to the HDD.

"To kill a weed, one must pull it out by the roots."

12. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

I don't have time to keep screwing with this, I'm just going to switch out the hard drives and pray. I just need to figure out how to disable RAID on a Dell Precision.

EDIT:
    And if anyone has any idea how to do this pretend I'm a toddler because I have no idea how to use BIOS except that I know I can serious screw up my computer if I do something stupid.

EDIT 2:
    Oh, and the computer froze again this time without any error messages, warnings at startup (since I fixed those problems) or anything else it just went kaplooey.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  13. the mekanic

Listen, as far as I know, the reason these machines run the RAID like they do is due to their intensive graphics chores. They can render the graphics data faster,better, and more easily by accessing two copies of the files (using mirrored copies). If you can disable it, it would be against the design parameters.

14. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

The only thing being used on this computer is Autocad 2004 (only 2d drawing) and e-mail. There is a much better computer for heavy duty lifting. Also, I can always set the RAID array back up if it really needs to be back up.

I have a chance to play with it tomorrow so I'll do a memory test but I've fixed most of the other problems besides the random freezing and I have no idea what could be causing that.

There are no more hitches at startup, the system clock has been reset and hasn't gone back to 2006, it doesn't whine before it freezes anymore it just goes out, I updated the BIOS and the RAID software and neither have given me any trouble and I even re-built (or whatever the term is) the mirrored drive. While I was running on the main drive I had no freezing or errors (besides it noticing it's sister wasn't connected) so I assume something is wrong with the sister drive. I could run it on the main drive for a day just to make sure but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

I could still replace the battery but I don't get the feeling you believe that could be causing my final problem. Maybe it is a virus but I haven't found one on scans and maybe it's something I haven't thought of yet but the bottom line is the computer needs to be working and random freezing doesn't fall under the "working" heading. Hell, maybe I'll replace the drive and the damn thing will still freeze and we'll just have to warranty the piece of crap and get it off my hands.

15. the mekanic

Have you tried repairing the "sister drive". Sometimes "chkdsk /p /r" (or a similar utility) can go a long way...

Also, if you only run one drive, it MAY disable RAID on it's own. Fat maybe.

Otherwise, you have to disable all secondary drives except one, and uninstall the RAID driver. It might work. I can't say for sure.

Your best bet is to scan and diagnose/repair both drives, if possible.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  16. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

I'm done playing amateur tech, Dell is getting a call because I don't want to go any further and risk screwing things up any more. I got two wonderful BSOD's, "IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "NO MORE IRP STACK LOCATIONS" so I'm calling this outside my realm of expertise.

If it's outside of warranty I'll try a format/windows install and see what happens.

17. the mekanic

IRQ settings are something that need to be properly designated. Having two devices in the same time and place in cyberspace can be like hypothetically meeting your double. Hope they can help you out.

If not, try and call on Major...

18. rdmctigger

rdmctigger Private E-2

At this point it is out of my hands, my boss will just buy a new computer unless I can convince him I can fix the problem and I'm not sure I trust myself not to screw it up more. Thank you for all your help it actually allowed me to get a better grip on what was going on even if I ended up causing more problems than I fixed.

19. the mekanic

No problem, and look at the software section on the main page, you can always find something useful.

If you can, find an old junker, you could use it to run, and learn, to use basic diagnostic tools. If you don't understand a term, you could always ask, and remember, Wikipedia is free...

None of us knew a damn thing when we got started! :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds