change hard drives on old PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have got my hands on an old PC (7 years) it's a Compaq Evo D510 CMT and it only has a 40gb hard drive.
    what i want to do is copy the complete drive to a 300gb drive and then replace the smaller one with it, The problem is it is loaded with Windows XP pro and i do not have any disks for the machine and it does not have a recovery partition.
    So any ideas please.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Use xxClone andbe sure to use the CoolTools feature to make the 300GB bootable.
    Switch drives and Go,baby,Go.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Bill,

I don't think the BIOS will recognise a 300G drive. Check first.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

This is the hard drive ST340014A (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100) how can i see if it is ide or sata?

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I suppose i can run the 300 as an external untill i replace the Mobo,I already have a new one,but i am just playing with this tower for the moment and later i am going to build a new PC in the case(i got the tower for that)

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK guys thanks for the help and info i think i will just leave it alone for the moment and when i do the new build it will be for Linux,all i was thinking is that if i could save the OS and run dual boot with it but my other hard drives are all Sata.
    I still have my main PC with Vista.
    One thing that did surprise me with the compaq is how slow XP is next to vista although to be fair the CPU is not the fastest in the world (intel Pentium 4) and in my vista PC it's a quad so not a fair comparison.
    Thanks again
    Bill

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What speed P4 and socket?

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The CPU can not be overclocked as it's a HP Mobo and does not give any access.
    The socket is 787

Attached Files:

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Do you mean socket 478?

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Sorry typo police are after me. 478

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If you ever need a replacement, I have 2 P4s (1.7GHz, socket 478) that you can have.
    May be slower, but could save time getting back up.

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks hrlow but when i put the new mobo in i am going to install a quad and it is not the same.
    i really only got this for the case and the 500watt PSU the rest was a bonus and i only payed 100 euros for the whole thing.
    I just hooked it up to see what it had.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds