Need to extend wired connections.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BulletSponge62485, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BulletSponge62485

BulletSponge62485 Private E-2

I am wondering if there is a device that will connect to my wireless router wirelessly, and then allow me to connect a couple wired computers into that device. Basically, here is the setup I am attempting to achieve. Downstairs I have a wireless router. I would like to have a device upstairs that connects to this wireless router wirelessly that will act as a hub basically that will allow me to plug a computer or two into it with a wire. I am sorry if this is confusing, just ask any questions if you would like clarification. Also, would it just be easier for me to buy a USB wireless adapter for the computers I am wanting to put upstairs?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

What kind of routers are they? To accomplish what you wish one of the routers (upstairs) needs to be able to be a bridge or repeater. Not all routers can do this.

3. in_jeopardy

in_jeopardy Private E-2

upstairs you'll need a wireless access point (known as a WAP or AP), and a switch.

Wireless Router downstairs, AP upstairs cabled to the switch, which is cabled to whatever you want (workstations, etc).

If you want to compare the price of an AP and a Switch, with the price of buying several USB wireless adapters, depending on how many computers you have upstairs, either could be cheaper.

I think that you would find the former option more reliable, having one wireless connection between the Router and an AP is far simpler than several wireless connections.

4. BulletSponge62485

Now does the AP need to be wired to anything though? I am trying to keep from running wires up the stairs and the landlords will not let me drill holes to run cat5 throughout the house. I I already have a 24 port cisco switch so all I would need to buy is the device that will connect with the wireless router. I will start doing some shopping around for an AP though and see if it would just be cheaper to buy the adapters.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Could you answer this please.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I don't believe the WAP will "talk" to the wireless router "wirelessly".

7. BulletSponge62485

I am sorry. It is a Linksys WRT54G.

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The LinkSys router doesn't do it out of the box but there is firmware that you can load into your LinkSys router that will do exactly what you want.

Look here and here

It doesn't look that difficult.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds