Pc2100/pc2700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Mar 27, 2009.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Having some trouble with a Dell Inspiron 8200. I ordered PC2100 memory, 2 x 512 to be exact, and I guess they thought they would do me a favor and sent PC2700. Problem is, I get a Write/read failure 0900CA68, read EF80EF00, expect EF00EF00. It then proceeds to cause massive havoc with XP, registry errors, and a Virtumonde infection popped up, which I think may have been coincidental. In addition, with both 512MB sticks installed it takes two boots to recognize the full GB. First boot, it reduces system memory to 256MB. The BIOS is up to date, and everyone including crucial says this should work.

Any ideas?

2. shockcell

shockcell Private E-2

ok first off Virtumonde is an infection, a virus if you will and has nothing to do with the installation of the new memory. Im guessing that your computer is a laptop because dell doesent make a 8100 desktop? What I would do is make sure that the bios is up to date with version A11, another thing to keep in mind is that older dells tend to be proprietary meaning that unless the memory came from dell it wont work. The only way to find out if it is proprietary is to get ahold of dell and ask

3. the mekanic

Yes, I know what Virtumonde is. The 8200 is a laptop. The infection didn't appear before the memory install, which is why I mentioned it. BIOS and chipset drivers are up to date, yet I still receive a memory read/write error after the BIOS screen. I would say memory is not proprietary, the other stick and the processor upgrade came from a Toshiba Satellite. Going to see about running a memtest with DOS...

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

You didn't say anything about the CPU in the first post. Is it supported by your motherboard?

5. the mekanic

Yes it is. I've been building "Frankencomputers" for about seven years or so. This is the first time I've had any significant trouble with a "pulled" part. Just lucky, I guess. Presently running Memtest86, v. 2.11, and the scroll is red, period, just red. 24% of the test completed, and it already picked up about 122,000 errors. So much for the assurances that they tested solid. I'll be sending them back for exchange on Monday. Oh, well...

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

You may have mentioned it in another thread,but no reference to it in this one(where I came in).

7. the mekanic

Mentioned what?

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The CPU upgrade from the Toshiba Satellite to this machine.
    Or was your "Yes it is." in response as to whether the CPU was supported by your motherboard.
    (It's been a looonnng day).

9. the mekanic

Yeah, know the feeling all too well. One of the memory sticks and the CPU were from the Toshiba (junker, LCD to expensive to bother). The Pentium 4M pull is supported, and a nice increase in speed. I decided that while 384MB is workable (one Dell, one Toshiba), maxing out the memory would be a nice touch, so I found a place in Florida that hooked me up with a pair of 512s for twenty eight bucks shipped to my mailbox. Apparently though they said they tested OK, they are KO. They're willing to cover the cost for exchange, and make absolutely sure they are working condition this time. Nice people, eh?

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Just got a matched pair of PC3200 (2x512MB) from eBay. $15.95+ $4.95 shipping.Recieved within 5 days.

11. the mekanic

NICE! Gotta shop around, but I unfortunately tend to shy away from ebay...

12. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry to push in, but I have a question.

Again, sorry if it is obvious, but are you sure the laptop can accept this much and type of memory?

13. the mekanic

Yes, it can. Crucial, Dell, and others all confirm it is capable of handling PC2700 memory modules, max allowed 1GB. I am currently on test #8, running Memtest86. Been running about 14 hours to run all nine tests to completion on a full GB with this laptop, unless I'm mistaken, these aren't any good. The errors column is up to 10.7 million after 15 passes...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds