Access Point wireless LAN with two XP PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITgirl, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi,

I have two PC's running Windows XP Professional. The PC's both have wireless adapters and connect to the Internet through an access point wireless Livebox C6D0 router. I can ping the router gateway and the client PC's which have been assigned static IP addresses on the same 192.168.1.x subnet as the router. I have created a wireless network and run the Network Setup Wizard on both the PC and enabled print, file and Internet connection sharing. On each PC I can see one PC in the workgroup but not the other. ie on PC-1 I can see PC-1 in the HOME workgroup and on PC-2 I can see PC-2 in the HOME workgroup. Each PC can't see the other. So far I have had to:

1. add the IP address of each PC to Norton 360's trusted list.
    2. change the program rules in Norton 360 to allow 'System' access.

previous to the above changes I could not create the network on the PC and could not see the wireless network as an option when running the network setup wizard. Any suggestions?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Have you checked to make sure the Windows firewall is disabled?
    Also, having the same user account with the same level of control and same password may be needed.

3. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi,

I've turned off Windows firewall and changed the username and password to the same on both PC's. They still don't show up in the workgroup. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help anyway.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Disable the internet connection sharing. The router "shares" the connection, not the computers.

5. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. As it turns out I moved the accesspoint wireless router to a new position in the house and the signal strength on both PC's showed as very good. Then I went to My Network Places and voila the two computers can see each other in the workgroup. I think it must have been the signal quality that affected the LAN over the wireless.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds