Screen does not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drivetime, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

Having a problem with my screen. When I turn on my PC the screen does not come on automatically, and sometimes just switches off. All I get is a msg saying "check cabling". I have tried two DVI-I cables and get the same problem. What on earth is going on?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you try a VGA port on the monitor, or a different DVI or VGA port on the PC?

3. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

Tried both VGA ports and the problem still occures. Someone told me it my be my video adapter or graphics card causing the problem.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can you try the computer with another screen, or the screen with another computer?

5. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

Monitor worked fine with another PC perfectly.

6. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Smells of video card problems then, it might be having troubles sending the actual signal. Does your Mobo have onboard video?

7. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

This is the spec

Asus Blitz Extreme Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3
    Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR, 95W, S775, 2.40 GHz,
    1066MHz

512MB Asus HD2900XT PCI-E(x16) 512Bit 1650MHz GDDR3, GPU
    740MHz CrossFire

Corsair 2GB DDR3 XMS3-1066C7 TwinX (2x1GB)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS SATA-II 16MB Cache

Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler

Thermaltake Toughpower Series Cable Management 1200w

Samsung DVDRW Dual Layer

8. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

well thats your problem! you got a ATI card! lol jk

But you still didnt answer my question, does the motherboard have onboard video? I dont feel like googling it for you. Unless you honestly dont know :\

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Drivetime,

That could also be an indication that the computer is not even booting. You will hear the hard drive spin up in any event but, does it then sound like activity for several seconds. If not the comp is not booting.

Good Luck, Jim

10. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

Jim: Pc does boot and I can get the screen to work but I have to press the power button just after the 1st beep. Screen turns of at random times though.

Borsung: As for the Mobo, I have googled it but tbh I am not too shit hot on knowing what is what, so if you could be so kind......

11. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

sorry bud.

Look on the back of your computer where you plug everything in, by the sound/usb slots there would be a BLUE colored plug where you can hook in a VGA cord(a monitor cable) not the on one your video card, but on the Mobo itself.

If it does, plug your monitor into that and see if your having the same problems.

12. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

There is not one there.

13. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Well you mentioned the monitor worked well with anther PC, im assuming this other PC has a video card? try swapping it out and see if it works.

This gonna take some trial and error i believe to get to the source of the problem.

14. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

Fnally got this sorted, new card sorted it out but I have a new problem, will post it soon. Thanks to all.

15. Drivetime

Drivetime Private E-2

I now have a double image, tried re seating the card but no joy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds