netgear wg111v2 please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lostsoul_Darkness, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Lostsoul_Darkness

Lostsoul_Darkness Private E-2

I'm sure people have posted a similar problem so i apologise but i have not found my problem exactly in any threads so i'm going to try again

In my house we have a netgear router in the spare room, works no problem, we had to connect one pc up wired because it was so far from the box it was unreliable but everything else connects fine, pcs, laptops, psps etc

As is normal with any network, every now and then the signal goes, you just unplug and replug the network dongle or else just switch off router at mains and wait 20secs before turning back on...

except in the past 2 days just this PC I am on has been constantly dropping signal, on off on off..it means i can never have a converstaion on msn, WoW is a no go, I can't do anything i normally do

netgear support forum talked about p2p software and anti-virus..well i don't have any p2p software open at the moment, my brother doesnt although his is working fine, i have scanned my computer for spyware/virus' and nothings been found

i haven't installed any new hardware, i haven't installed any new software at the time the problems started, i have simply installed shop bought games since to kill time

I am an IT student so I am not a complete geek but im not incompetent either, i can't find a cause for this at all and its driving me mad..i jsut want my internet back!

please help me

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

From a hardware standpoint, I would check for updated drivers and firmware.
    P2P throws up a red flag, even if you are careful. I would suggest a trip to the Malware forum and go through the cleaning guide there.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If I am reading your post right Lostsoul, the offending computer is wired via CAT5 cable? If so, what is the length of the cable, and can you test the cable to make sure it is terminated properly. If a wireless computer is the problem one, well, I misread. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds