Fine internet, but can't get to youtube

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lom, Mar 30, 2009.

1. lom

lom Private E-2

Hey, having a pretty strange problem:

In general my internets working fine, but for some reason I just can't connect to youtube. I've tried on chrome, ie and firefox and I always just get a no reply error. This includes any youtube videos embedded in other sides, or even pictures hosted on youtube.

Pinging it almost always gives a timeout although, perhaps most interestingly, not always always. Sometimes I'll get 4 straight replies from 208.117.236.69, and somehow typing that into a browser actually does work, though unfortunately still won't get me videos because youtube use absolute links for those.

So yeah, I really have no idea what to try. Scanned with AVG just incase but found nothing significant.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Luke

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

3. xratedsoldier

xratedsoldier Private E-2

Almost sounds like a DNS error or firewall error.

4. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

I would run ccleaner and clean up any junk. Sounds like a DNS issue is pretty probable.

5. lom

lom Private E-2

Some more details:

• I'm running vista SP1
    • Behind a router
    • Router can ping youtube fine
    • Ccleaner didn't solve anything (though did somehow manage to free up 4 gigs of space :))

6. abz1nthe

can you post back with the contents of your hosts file?

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Try this -
    Start > Run > Cmd (Run as Administrator) Type ipconfig /flushdns > Enter
    See if that gets any corrupted entries out for youtube.

8. abz1nthe

good call mest :major

9. lom

lom Private E-2

:O Thank you! ^.^
    Had to enable DNS client in services to get it working, then flushing the cache totally fixed it!
    Cheers =D

10. lom

lom Private E-2

Oh my god my internet's ridiculously loads faster now as well! I've always wondered why loading pages took so long despite the fact speed tests gave me the 10megs I pay for, and I could never work out why!

I am eternally in your debt, sir.

11. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Congrats on the fix and you're welcome.:)

12. lom

lom Private E-2

Hey so, turns out the problem comes back. Over the last few days I found that a few times youtube's decided to stop working again, and I'll run ipconfig /flushdns again and it fixes it... again.

So it's not a massive problem, but it's still quite curious and I'd like to find out what's causing it. As far as I've noticed it's only happened to youtube. As I say, I've set DNS client to automatic.

Any ideas? :S

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could if the DNSCache flush works each time, be a negative entry thats continually getting stuck in the Local DNS Resolver cache and while this cache should empty every 24hr period, it may not do sucessfully, so a small trick from XP is to block negative entries being saved in the first place.

Backup registry or the key folder before changing.

But open regedit (Start > and type in start search box regedit and hit enter) then navigate to this location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters

then right click in the right window in a blank space and choose New > DWord 32-bit Value and name it NegativeCacheTime and give it a value of 0 (but as thats the default setting, leave it be)

Then see if it happens again, can always delete that entry created if makes no difference.

At times also TCP/IP V6 causes issues (it shouldnt but some users see and report this fixes the issue on connection for them and as TCP/IPv6 is nto new its not widely adapted as yet, accounting for at last time I looked at figues 1% of internet traffic), so could try turning off TCP/IP v6 and to do this goto Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and right click your network connection > Properties > and untick Internet Protocol V6 (TCP/IPv6)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds