Question on Partitions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Batfail, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Batfail

Batfail Private E-2

I'm messing with a coworkers computer, clearing some malware and old garbage bogging down the system, and I noticed that his C drive was only 14 gb, while his D drive is 93 gb, C being the primary drive. Talked to him about it, and he just said do whatever you can. I looked a bit and found a program called Easeus. The program suggests that it can create/delete partitions and change the size. As far as I can tell, though, I can only decrease the size, and I don't see anything on merging partitions. I currently have the D drive deleted, and the 93 gb is unallocated. Is there any way to merge them together, or to make D the primary drive and have all files transferred over with no major problems?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

While there is some malware that can do exactly what you suggest (MBM virus for example) Easeus is a safe, free partition manager offered here, so someone might have played with it. Typically, your looking to delete the partitions as you have done so that there eventually shows only one partition. Try booting from the XP or Vista CD and delete the partitions from the install and then choose create. If not, your going to need a more advanced partitioning tool that allows merging. Unfortunately there are no free ones I know of.

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Not that I have ever used Easeus myself but is there no way of increasing the size of the primary and active 14GB partition.

You deleted the 93GB partition and now have unallocated space after the 14Gb partition. The required operation would not entail merging (merging is for combining 2 partitions) but rather resizing to increase the size of the 14GB partition to take up the rest of the free / unallocated disk space.

Good Luck

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Easeus has a slightly difficult interface in that you have to use the sliders to pull the partitions larger or smaller (typing in the desired numbers doesn't seem to work properly, all the time).

If you highlight the C: partition and click Resize/Move, in the window that opens you should see a graph with 3 colors. Yellow(used space on C: ), medium shade (unused space on C: ) and dark shade (unallocated space after C: ). You want to drag the slider between medium and dark to the right to increase the medium shade space and decrease the dark space.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-moving-partition.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds