first time new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Possibly this week i am going to attempt to build a PC, I already have most the bits, just need a CPU and were ready to go.

I have been told that when i first fire it up i will have to "flash the bios" and i am not 100% on what this means.
    I do have a disk that came with the new mobo (abit IX38 GT3) but am not sure if this will kick the mobo into life.

Any help with this project will be welcome, thanks
    Bill

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

who told you that you need to flash the bios? Unless the cpu that you get isn't compatible with the current bios version (you don't have the cpu yet?) . If you are sure you need to flash it, check the manufacturers site for the newest bios version for the specific model (make sure you select the correct one). You will have to put it on something and boot from it (used to need a floppy disk, tho i'm sure you can put it on a usb flash drive now) .Or during the boot up, it will prompt you to enter the bios, or sometimes there is even a seperate prompt for updating/flashing the bios.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Here's the upgrade page. I'm assuming you'll put a quad in there?:drool If you need it then just burn a CD with the update. I had to do that with my single cored AMD when I plopped in a dual core. Read the FAQ very closely and follow it religiously, you should be good.:)

4. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

No Bill, there should be no need to flash your BIOS. As long as you chose the correct CPU and RAM for your MB, you should have no problems. The best way to be sure of that is to go to the Abit site and look up your board and see what is compatiable with it. When it comes to the BIOS, 'if it ain't broke...don't fix it!!' The disc that came with your new board is, more than likely, the driver disc for the chipset, sound, video, etc. I went to the Abit site, but couldn't find the iX38 GT3, but I found the board that replaced it, the iX48 GT3. http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IX48+GT3&fMTYPE=LGA775 I don't know if that will be of any help, but at least it's a starting point.

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thank guys the help is much appreciated.
    I will go and get a CPU this week and get started.

@ Augie yes it will most probably be a quad,the link you gave me does not open (see thumbnail).

@Stubby I found that page as well but it is strange that i can not find it for the I38?

Attached Files:

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The new build is postponed for another week. [​IMG]

I went to get a new CPU today and my local supplier had forgotten to order it so i have to go back next week.

I am going to try the new Intel Q6700. [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds