Opinions on heat sink fan.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hrlow2, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I know there are some who will say "Told you so", but my machine has died.
    Worked great while running(24/7 for more than 2 weeks) at 145-150 degreesF. Turned it off to give it a break then no bootup on restart.
    Power light on front comes on,motherboard lights come on, HDD spins up(can be felt and heard).Monitor stays black with ready light blinking.
    Tried using a known good monitor, installed PCI graphics card, removed all RAM and disconnected everything else but HDD and monitor, removed CMOS battery to reset, checked for leaky,bulging capacitors(none).
    No response. Dead.
    Have ordered and waiting for delivery of exact replacement.
    Have also ordered a NEW HSF (Rosewill RCX-Z200 48.4CFM) from Newegg.
    Opinions on HSF and whether will be enough.
    Machine was at 135F on bootup since I purchased it, so thought was normal. Expensive mistake on my part.
    (Go ahead and laugh. It's OK.)

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200029

Seems exceptionally quiet for a 48cfm fan.

Cooling is just not about the cpu only, it should be applied to the overall set up. What good is it if your hsf is great but the case itself does not allow for good airflow.

I have a Lian Li PC7 PlusII case. Has 120mm fan at the front and rear. I also have a 120mm side fan. This coupled with a Thermalright XP90 (ali) mounted with a 92mm fan means that temps are nice and cool. These 4 fans are connected to an Akasa fan controller so that when required the speeds can be increased.

With Prime95 on max heat setting my cpu gets up to about 46C (idle 33C) and that is without the fans being on max. HDD are usually in the low to mid thirties.

Good Luck

PS a good yardstick to judge your case cooling is as follows. Remove your case's side cover and if the temp drops are noticeable then you have issues.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The HS that is currently installed is ALL copper, but fan was stock.Wouldn't even make a good exhaust case fan.
    Just waiting for delivery of the Rosewill. Moves 18CFM than the Masscool at a lower rpm, and the Zalman didn't even show what air flow it probuced. Zalman also went to 2.8GHz P4. Mine is 3.4GHz.

5. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

My mistake on the Zalman, sorry. Still, the one you picked, like I said earlier, should suffice nicely. Hope that cures your overheating problem.;)

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Thanks for the reply. Call us even for my PMing you?;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds