Interesting issue..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scynful79, Mar 31, 2009.

1. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

On another forum, this chick has that gaming mouse and keyboard.

the Razer Copperhead™ gaming mouse brings gaming to new heights with its revolutionary 2000dpi laser sensor technology. Add 32KB of onboard memory, this intelligent mouse is a genre-defining weapon that makes for penetrating, explosive gameplay.

g15 keyboard.

REcently, she has come across a virus that hit her bios. She found out that the virus is actually in the keyboard and mouse. I asked her if she can reset them, this was her response.

*no. the minute I plug them in, they shut down my computer and scramble the bios.

i even tried just plugging one in at a time.

I never actually used CD's for them.

I talked to logitech about this, and they've had more than one person lately calling in with a similar issue. They are working on fixing it, but anytime you can store anything onto memory, inside the keyboard/mouse its possible to also store something malcious, like a keylogger as well and have it imbed itself.

so far, I don't know of (any) virus cleaner that will fix this issue. i've already talked to logitech, they said to trash them and either use ones with out memory, or replace them from scratch.

they didn't have any answers to fix it or safely clean them either.*

Any ideas on how she might be able to fix this problem? I'd hate to see her throw something like that away if she doesn't have to.

Thank for any advice.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I really don't have an answer at the moment, but I'll be more than happy to look into it, as you have piqued my curiousity. These are USB connected, yes?

I find it, well, let's just say less than impressive, that Logitech would give you only those options.

For them not to tell you that they are working on it and stand by their product is not the least bit respectable.

You may also want to post in Malware...

3. scynful79

scynful79 Private E-2

Yes, they are usb. And yea, I thought that very same thing too. I like logtech and never had an issue with them before. I thought I'd come here and throw this around to see what kind of responses I get.

Thank you for looking into it at least. =)

4. the mekanic

Did you post in Malware? They may have heard of your issue, and oh, they so do love a new bug!!

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. the mekanic

plodr, looks like you have something here. I thought it would be unusual for Logitech to act in such a way. That link explains things a bit...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds