Power supply replacing help, e-machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thri, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Thri

Thri Private E-2

Ok, I have an e-machine and a new cheap power supply. Will they work together?:confused

Here is a pic of the old power supply and the new one. Are they compatible? Plus a pic of a battery that I would like to know if it needs replacing or at least what it is for?

[​IMG]

Ok, here is what has happened, some people had an e-machine that started shutting it’s self down on them and wanted me to take a look at it. I checked it for software problems and checked for hard drive problems and without being a hardware expert I believe it was the power supply kicking the can, which appears to be commonplace with e-machines. I suggested that they probably need a new power supply. They decided to just get a new computer and let me keep the old one instead of trashing it. Then later on I got a hold of a cheap power supply that a friend purchased for yet another e-machine, before they went ahead and got a new computer.

If I can get this computer up and running I would sure come in handy. At least it would do more then just take up space.

thanks for any help:)

2. Thri

Thri Private E-2

Can anyone help, Please:):confused

3. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

I can't tell enough from looking at your pictures, unfortunately, to answer your question, but perhaps I can help a little. With power supplies, there are 3 main things you want to look for that I am aware of: Watt, type, and motherboard/cpu connectors.

You can see on the labels, the new one is a 375 watt and the old is a 300 watt, so you are good there.
    I cannot tell from the labels what type of ps it is. By type, I mean ATX, ATX/BTX, ATX12v, etc. That information should be listed either on the power supply itself or with any documentation accompanying it... if all else fails you can call the manufacturer or google the serial # of each supply and find out.
    You'll need to make sure the connectors on the power supply's wires match the motherboard. The main plug into the motherboard will probably be either a 20 pin or a 24 pin connection (your power supply wire may be able to support both, and have a segmented connection alowing either 20 or 24 pin connection). The plug for the cpu power will be either a 4 pin or an 8 pin connection. Just match em up and if they all fit, you're good to go getting them connected.

Hope that helps you some at least!

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Thri,

If it's same wattage or bigger, it fits the mounting space and has the same connectors it should work.

Luck, Jim

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Stated symptoms sound like a dying E-machines psu
    I've replaced loads of these.
    Your proposal sounds electrically fine so long as it is a mechancial fit on position, fixings, connectors and fan direction/positioning.

The coin cell battery is nothing to do with the psu, it powers bios memory to hold certain settings, like date and time when there is no power.

These cells have a life of up to 5 years, but you will need to reestablish the settings in BIOS if/when you change it.
    If you can, measure the voltage and replace if less than 3 volts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds