Question about Proxys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by granniekat, Mar 31, 2009.

1. granniekat

granniekat Private E-2

Got fed up with the new Internet Explorer 8 so I downloaded Google Chrome which I like ALOT better. However, my connections and downloads are sooooo slow. When Google first starts I see a message at the bottom left that says "detecting proxy". And it keeps detecting proxy for quite a while.

I have also seen "resolving proxy" and "resolving host" quite often. The time it takes to download is pretty slow. I have satellite service, a modem thru Wildblue, one PC hard wired to the Netgear router and this laptop which is a wireless connection. I just can't explain HOW SLOW EVERYTHING IS TAKING. I am sure there is a setting that is not quite configured correctly, but I don't know where to look or steps to take to make the initial boot up in internet go faster, and the switch from page to page go faster. Yes, I was having trouble with start up and download speeds using Internet Explorer 8 also - but it was triple worse !!! At least with Google Chrome I can see faster progress. And it is a lot more user friendly. I've been shown several "time out" alert boxes saying it's taking too long to download, please refresh.

When I go to the Options tab under tools, and check out the LAN settings, it says that "some settings are managed by the systems administrator (THAT'S ME....ha!). I have it automatically detecting settings, and the proxy server is being bypassed for local settings.

Now, if I need to change any settings, I don't know where to look, or what to change. Any ideas on how to speed this up and surf smoother?????

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

The scenario you are describing sounds a lot like what is listed in the Google Chrome "known issues"...

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/static.py?page=known_issues.cs

Read the Network Issue: "Performing searches take a long time, and I see 'Resolving proxy...' in the lower-left of the window"

If you're not using a proxy, you shouldn't be attempting to detect one. If you are using a proxy, then I'd recommend manually entering the settings and not using the auto-detect.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds