compatibilty issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyM, Apr 1, 2009.

1. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi - I am unable to find the answer to this question.....

Can I use this EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card to replace the Nvidia Geforce 6150se in a Emachine?

The Nvidia website did not have the answer to this question so here I am!!:-D

Thanks in advance!! KathyM

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

That depends on your mobo. Do you have the PCIe x16 slot for the card?

What series and model emachine do you have? (T, W, etc.)

3. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

it is a EL1200-05w and I do believe it does have the PCIe x16 slot (hubby on it now and cant open it nor can I find out what mob it is...(must be a dummy this morning)- what I want to do is replace the existing card with the EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card -

4. the mekanic

From what I can see, your processor is a major hang up at the moment. It is the "Lillith" of your processor family. With this chipset, you should be able to upgrade to at least an AMD X2 dual-core 3800+ processor. That would deped on emachines BIOS. You would definitely have to chat with emachines on that one. Also, you would have to make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard installed.

I got one some time ago (3800+ processor) for $48 and change to my door from tigerdirect.

You can upgrade your graphics card, but if it is "bottlenecked" by the processor, all the GPU upgrade in the world won't really matter.

CPU family listing at:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/TYPE-Athlon 64.html

5. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I was kinda thinking that it might have been an issue - my plan was to upgrade my hubbys computer so he can have 2 monitors....I guess I will just get an adapter for him.....

6. the mekanic

What do you mean by "adapter"?

7. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Desktop Computer Display Adapters for Use with the Multiple Monitor Feature

8. the mekanic

What's the price comparison on that, versus a CPU and graphics card?

9. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I can tell you right now that my hubby will NOT let me do anything like that to his puter........although I am in school he is always reluctant to have me do anything - he thinks that I might break it:-D Although I am the one he runs to when things don't work right!!

The adapter he is ok with......:)

10. the mekanic

Ain't that always the way... :-D

Kind of a shame, though. That PC may have potential...

But who would really want to have Atari, Sega, Nintendo, and Playstation at their fingertips in a Windows platform, anyway? ;)

11. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

yes indeed!!!!!

12. the mekanic

Hey Kathy M,

Y'know, I just tried to engage Dell chat about a PC, by service tag, that shipped on 8/24/2007. What I think I may have discovered, if you haven't, is a loophole in their service contract. If the PC is only out of Warranty for so long, they may choose that you need to "pay up". Not sure yet (ya' right, and later on, monkeys might fly out of my butt). The older stuff, they have consistently given me info about through chat. I'm going to keep trying, maybe the server is busy...

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

What a bunch of ^%&%$$## SCUMBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, did I let my primitive side takeover?

13. the mekanic

Here's a loophole that may work to ferret what you want out of them. Tell them the PC was sold, transfer the ownership to someone you trust (it must be done by that person), and they can get all the info they want...

Kinda' messed up, in a capitalistic sort of way...

14. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi Mekanic - when ever I had a question for Dell I just called.....for me that worked. I have never tried to engage a "chat" before. Although I did a "chat" with emachines and they were not helpful at all......and I pretty much told him that in the chat....:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds