2nd HDD - what should go where?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PithPossum, Apr 2, 2009.

1. PithPossum

PithPossum Private E-2

Hi all, long-time site user, first time poster...hope someone can help! :)

I'm about to install a second hard drive in an old computer, and I'm wondering what people think is the best way to go about installing my software.

I'm running a Compaq Presario 6000 with
    -P4 2.53 GHz
    -1 GB RAM
    -NVidia GeForce 7200 GS

The HDD tells me it is 37.2GB with 31.9GB free (I know, small..!) with XP and that's about it. I'm going to install a 30GB second drive from an older PC with XP (which currently is partitioned into 3 parts).

My plan right now is to format the 2nd HDD once I install it, but then I'd like some advice on where to put everything. The system is going to primarily be for games. Basically all that's going to be on here is

-Win XP (obviously)
    -IE
    -MSN
    -File Sharing program
    -World of Warcraft (bout 15GB)
    -MP3s (about 10GB)

I'm thinking maybe Warcraft on the 2nd drive by itself since the game is about 1/2 the capacity, but I really am not sure (this is my first time trying to install a new hard drive). Any suggestions on what to put where so I can get the best performance out of my game?

...also, should I/must I partition anything at all? Like I said, first time trying my hand at this :)

2. PithPossum

PithPossum Private E-2

OK, upon closer inspection I appear not to have a connector from my power supply to plug in said 2nd hard drive. The second cable with 4 connectors is plugged into my video card.... Now I really don't know what to do... :|

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you mean you don't have a free one of these? How many CD/DVDROMs do you have connected? If more than one can you use that power cable?

4. PithPossum

PithPossum Private E-2

That's the one I'm missing, yes... And I never thought of disconnecting one of the optic drives, thanks for the suggestion!

But I think I have a new plan: just popped open my other, slightly older computer (has the older P4 2.0GHz, but a 60GB HDD) and discovered 2 of those connectors that are free, so I can plug my 30GB 2nd drive and my vid card in there without (hopefully) any trouble :)

So now I think I'm just back to my original dilemma of what to put where. The 60GB HDD has all my old crap on it, so perhaps just moving Warcraft to the 2nd drive will help things out..?

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Pith,

Most PSUs have at least 4 power connectors. Look closely. If not there then Splitters should still be available to make two out of either of yours.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds