dns problem maybe.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingSteve, Apr 2, 2009.

1. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Got a computer on my network, that for some reason isnt able to see my dns. the nic is fine, i pull an address from the same server dns is on, i can ping the vlan gateway, the internal and external interface of the router, but thats where it stops. I joined it to a workgroup in an attempt to rejoin it to my domain, but it doesnt see dns so its not able to join. Browser obviously doesnt pull up any pages. couldnt access network resources when it was on the domain either. totally dont get it. did full virus scans that came up empty. looked around at every setting i could think of with no luck. no firewall. services all looked ok. i can ping the servers. what else?

2. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

so when you try to re-join it to the domain it doesn't prompt you for domain/admin credentials? Does it just error out on "A domain controller for the domain %domainname% could not be contacted... .... ....."?

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

yep. the details of it is An error occured when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate the DC for DOMAIN

query was for the srv record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcsDOMAIN

Im tryin to google around for it, so far nothin.

i got a spare laptop to try it out on. gonna rejoin the domain on that and see what happens - which worked fine, so the problem isnt the server.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Let me think on this I will have a reply soon :cool

5. NEOKing

NEOKing Private E-2

Have you tried flushing the DNS and ARP cache, I had a similar problem with one of my machines.

Code:
    ARP -d *
    ipconfig /flushdns

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

I haven't tried the arp -d. I'll give itva try at work tomorrow

7. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

no go on flushing the arp cache

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

im just going to reinstall windows. dont really have too much time to mess around with it unfortunately.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds