Installing new ram do I need to upgrade bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sacrosanct, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Private E-2

Hi all. I am taking out 4 512 ram sims from my pc and installing one 2 gig sim in their place. I have read that I should upgrade my pc bios before installing new memory, but I have also read that I should not mess with the bios unless I have to. The new sim is 667 speed whereas the current ones are 533 if that makes a difference.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I find myself in your presence again. :)

You may not need to upgrade your BIOS for it to recognize the memory upgrade if what you are installing is in the BIOS's "realm of recognition".

I have never found it harmful to have the latest BIOS installed. It's sort of like having the latest Service Pack. In fact, to my lament, my Asus A8M2LN-Naos mobo has NEVER had a BIOS update available. In fact, obtaining the original for backup has been a chore. It's sister board (Nodus) has a few updated versions, but if you use them, you lose onboard graphics and only have a display if you have a PCI/PCIe graphics card installed. The trade is the capabitlity of installing a higher grade AMD X2 processor.

To make a long story short, the only way you can seriously screw yourself is by flashing the mobo with the wrong BIOS.

Is your mobo dual channel?

3. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Private E-2

Hello again the mekanic. So you're saying if I install the ram and the PC regognises it then it's done and all is well? The manual says it can take this sim so I assume it should be okay.

4. the mekanic

There's that darn word assume again! ;)

You probably shouldn't have a problem if the manual specifies that type of RAM OEM.

5. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Private E-2

I didn't answer your question, I've only just seen it. Yes the motherboard is dual channel the sims in there now are running dual channel mode. I want to put the new one in then another 2 gig sim when I get one so I will be upgraded to 4 gig ram though I think XP Windows Media Centre will only recognise 3 gigs of it but that's okay for now.

6. the mekanic

Just make sure that channel A, and channel B have the exact same modules, right to the last byte. :-D

7. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Private E-2

Yes I'll make sure of that. Thanks again for the help.

8. the mekanic

Who loves ya' baby?

(That would really make sense if you could see my bald head in the summer months.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds