clone and re-build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hi guy n gals.
    I am currently running two towers with a KVM switch to save unplugging everything when i want to change towers.
    The question is.
    My second tower is a Compaq EVO 510CMT and is getting on in years (7) so i am planning to do a new build in the case, it is currently running XP Pro and i have the disks but they are OEM from HP and i intend to replace the Mobo with an ABIT IX38 GT3 so obviously my disks are not much use.
    I will be replacing every thing in there (HDD PSU Mobo GPU) so i am wondering if i can clone my Vista machine to the new hard drive and put that HDD in the new machine (is it legal and can it be done) I also have my Vista disks but they are registered to the PC so they are also no good?
    It would be a shame to do the re-build only to find i have to shell out for another OS (suppose i could go Linux)
    Help or suggestions welcome, thanks
    Bill

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Nope Bill, one license=one system. You could get a XP disc at a fire sale or a Vista Home OEM or if you spent enough money already, then *nix is the way to go. Good luck man.:)

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Yep i kinda guessed that Augie but i was hoping someone would tell me otherwise.
    What i will do is load Linux and run with that untill i can get hold of a cheap OS disk.
    Hopefully my CPU will be here by monday (intel Q6700) and i have all the bits?
    The schools are finishing tonight for the Easter break so the grandkids will be here next week:eek and there will be little fingers everywhere so i will put it off for a week.
    I have got really itchy fingers to get the project moving but must have patience for a while.
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds