2001 Toshiba Won't Boot Up, Screen Black Was Ok...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrownButter, Apr 4, 2009.

1. BrownButter

BrownButter Private E-2

I have a 2002 Toshiba Satellite laptop. Is the laptop dead or do I just need a new battery???

Here's what I did so far:

I DID POWER IT UP, TURNS ON, BEEPS, BLACK SCREEN and nothing else sounds like it wants to do something and stops.

The first three lights are on but there is a symbol with three disks or circles on top of each other and its not turned on.

Took battery out, plugged in with adaptor, still wont boot. Any other ideas?

Please help. I just want to have it turn on, and start moving the old stuff out over the next few weeks on disks. I still need it has lots of import docs. Thanks!

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Model number would help. If the laptop is 7 years old, it may need a new CMOS battery, usually CR2032. This passes the values of the hard drive type, memory, etc to Windows (and lets Windows start up).
    Plus, it's a cheap fix. You may have to get on the Toshiba website to see how to get the battery out.
    NOTE: This is not the laptop battery, it is a dime-size battery. If that's what the problem is.

Hope this helps

3. BrownButter

BrownButter Private E-2

Thanks so much for ur reply. I had left it plug in for the last few hours. Now it is booting up, but the screen is very dark. I can barely see it. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I can barely see the screen or mouse moving around. Is there a key I can press to fix screen or is this dark screen a bad sign. Thanks!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That is your hard drive. It is usually lit on and off when the notebook boots up indicating hard drive activity. When everything is loaded for the most part the light remains off.
    A very dark screen might mean the inverter on the display is gone. If you have access to an external monitor, plug one in and see if the display is normal. (You might need to press keys to view the display on an external monitor. For my notebook, function +F5 toggles on the external display).
    If you don't have another monitor, call up a friend, ask if you can bring your notebook to his/her house and plug in the monitor to your notebook.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds