Another $100.00 dollar PC...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Apr 4, 2009.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

One thing I have come to love over the years is upgrading crappy PCs to become decent PCs for around $100 dollars or less if possible.

I have this oddball Prescott core CPU, SL7E2, 2.8GHz 1MB cache 533MHz FSB.
    All the sites I have visited in search of, OK, let's just say it, a good motherboard on the cheap don't list the FSB capabilities of the mobos. If they list anything, it is compatible processors.

Anyone know for sure if this mobo will work? Geeks.com seems to indicate it would.

BioStar P4M900-M4
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=P4M900-M4&cpc=RECOM

And, the memory, "on the cheap":

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sktop+Memory)-_-Crucial+Technology-_-20146526

Processor was worth eighteen bucks when I looked it up at StarMicro, and it's a good starter mobo, near as I can tell.

I have solid, tested salvage HDDs "in stock'.

I think it may not be worth it, however...

The other concern is the OS, unless I find a Dell board.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. the mekanic

Suggestions, comments, ideas, PARTS?!?!?!?

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The link you provided for the motherboard shows that 400/533/800 FSB is supported .
    Ram should be OK, but check if ECC or non-ECC. I always go for the non if possible>Seems to do better in my machine.

4. the mekanic

Hell, you wanna laugh? I was looking through the spare room where I store all the junk a little while ago, and I noticed a Dell B110 tucked behind the ironing board. Picked it up around a year ago. Looked at the Dell specs, and it said 512K L2 cache, and the 2.5 GHz Celeron it came with was a Prescott core. Just for S & G, (shits and giggles), I said what the hell, and gave it a shot since the mobo was based on a Prescott core. This board RAN the 1MB CPU! Sometimes, I really love "junk"!!!

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Mek,

QUOTE:
    One thing I have come to love over the years is upgrading crappy PCs to become decent PCs for around $100 dollars or less if possible.

My sentiments exactly! In addition it makes my day to repair a Comp or component someone else has given up on.

Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds