resoloution problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigtrucks, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Hi I just did a format on a Dell Dimension Dimm2350. had to reinstall twice upgrade Broadcom for ethernet to run and was doing great until I started running win xp up dates. I can't raise the screen resolution actually I can't move the arrow on the resolution or the color. Any advice ?

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

:hyper Thanks. Thats where I went for the Broadcom . Thank You.:)

4. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

OK! That did the trick but I have a situation. The lowest the pix go is 800x600. I need them to at least 640x800 as this pc belongs to a person in her 80s and she can't see to read very well. I even went and got her a mouse that has a magnifier button on it so she can read the really small print.What can be done about that?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Thanks Halo, but the problem with that is she can't see the letters in the box to know what to click on and won't remember where to go to turn it on. I was thinking more if possible to try and change the pixels some how. Is it possible to go back to an old version or is that too risky?

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Big,

Not sure about XP and don't have an XP machine up at the moment. In 98 you could go into Control panel and set up the Adaptor to STANDARD VGA. You would get the same res as you get during boot. If I remember correctly it would be 640 X 800 with only a few colors. Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

8. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Hey jlphlp Thanks
    As I was looking for the adapter I happened to look in "Intell extreme graphics clicked on info then monitor and found supported modes. In there are two settings 640x480(60Hz) and 640x480(85). Can I use one of them and if so which one?

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Big,

You can always use 60HZ with any monitor. That's TV standard Vertical Sweep Frequency. Most will also run at 85 HZ. If it wont you may have to go into Safe Mode and set it back but it usually reverts back automatically if it's bad and you don't accept it.

Good Luck, Jim.

10. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

As you have discovered, there is no such resolution as 640 x 800. Resolutions are annotated by values representing width x height. There are a few special purpose "tall screen" monitors, often used by writers/journalists, but generally, monitors come in standard 4:3, or widescreen 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios - all are wider than tall.

You want to use 60Hz - that's the refresh rate - as Jim noted, all monitors can do 60Hz, some support 85Hz, I don't think most do, however, since LCDs now outnumber CRTs, and especially since LCDs don't care about refresh rates - they don't use phosphors on the inside of a vacuum tube so there is no decay, or need for refreshing. So LCDs ignore the setting.

However, 640x480 at any refresh rate may not be satisfactory either as many programs (or web pages) are just not written for that low resolution anymore - the operating system will throw much of the page off the screen and I have found that many elderly have a problem with scrolling - especially horizontal - not only the concept, but with dexterity.

More importantly, while a lower resolution may produce larger text, it does not mean clearer or sharper text - in fact, it is often blurred or jagged. Not good on already straining eyes. LCDs are often worse, being far from their "native resolution".

Rather than reduce the resolution (and thereby the quality of the display she is trying to focus on), the RIGHT thing to do is get a larger monitor. Her eyes deserve it. It is important. Then use the Accessibility features noted above.

What type and size monitor is she using? There are many very inexpensive ($100 - $150) 19" LCDs that do great for everything but 3D animated gaming and CAD/CAE. In this size, but sure to get a standard 4:3 (and not widescreen) as that will produce a taller, full 12" display. Several decent 20" can be had for a few dollars more.

Of course, if she can budget for more, I would strongly recommend a 22 - 24" widescreen - with many to choose from for under $300. With a 22" you get just shy of a 12" tall display, and with a 24", just under 13".

Well, now I take that back - the Dell Documentation is little help in determining the supported resolutions. I don't see anywhere in the documentation about widescreen resolutions, so I would stick to a 19" to 20" 4:3, unless she plans to upgrade to a newer computer in the near future.

11. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Thanks Digerati,
    What you said makes sense. I may have an issue with her about getting a bigger monitor. but once I tell her it's cheaper for a better monitor and 512 memory then for a new pc she may go for it. Plus there is a thrift store that is pretty reasonable with their prices on computers. The owner has a tech he pays to fix them if they have a problem. As I said Thank You for that info. It helped me learn something new and remember some of the things I forgot.Have a good day.:)

12. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The added memory will sure help with overall performance too.

And as far as monitors go, if budget allows, going for a better quality monitor is a good idea. The entry levels you find at Walmart are fine, when yoou need a monitor and money really is tight. But moving up to mid-level does bring a better image and since the monitor is what you stare at for hours, the better ones are worth it. You don't need top of the line.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds