Recent score. Thought I'd share.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigfurrykid, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I just picked up a used system and I'm still having a hard time believing that I got this lucky.

Now the last thing that I need is another computer, but what the heck.

I saw it on the 'Bay going for $40 with local pick up only. Watched it end and then relisted for $30. BAM, jumped all over it.

I really expected it to need quite a bit of work, but to my surprise, it is in excellent condition.

Here's what I got:
    HP Pavilion 780C
    P4 2.0ghz. 1gb ram, 80gb hard drive, Dvd rom and CD-rw, Legit XP install with recovery discs, MX-90 19" monitor w/Polk audio speakers, keyboard and mouse.

The guy bought it new for his kid a few years ago and just upgraded them to a laptop.

This thing is in absolutely amazing condition.

Not the biggest or baddest kid on the block, but what a find for $30, $10 gas, 2 hours of driving time and buying wifey a roast beef at Arby's for coming along for the ride.
    Happy dance time!!! :dancer

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That is a great find. Congratulation.

I might add, since you said you don't need another computer, what we do here is assemble computers from used parts, then donate the computers, with legal copies of software, to local organizations who can find a good home for them.

Gives you a good warm fuzzy too - big furry things like that - and it keeps a lots of nasty stuff out of landfills too.

Finally - do the right thing with that hard drive and destroy any data from the previous owner. The best solution is to run a "wipe" program, such as Eraser, then reinstall Windows. At the very least, delete anything under My Documents and other personal stuff, run Disk Cleanup or CCleaner, then defrag the drive and start using it.

Sadly, it is a lucrative business for badguys to snoop through people's old drives looking for personal information - and not as filthy as digging through your trash.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Pretty good deal for a nice second computer!

4. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

The previous owner was pretty savvy and wiped the hard drive and re-installed the OS. Something that I greatly appreciated, as there is no unnecessary programs or files, just the bare minimum.

Digerati, I have quite a few working components that I wouldn't mind donating to a good cause. A few small capacity hard drives, a working motherboard with Duron processor and maybe an extra keyboard or two and mouse. I'll even pick up the shipping costs, if you are interested.
    Everything was pulled from working systems.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Wow! Very generous offer! Thank you! Fortunately, those type spare parts are not hard to find, we have enough to stay busy. I might suggest you check for local places to donate - or at least ensure they go to an electronics recycling place to keep them out of the landfills.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds