UPS needed for 600W PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepondrugs, Apr 5, 2009.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

Hi,

Ive recently be having a lot of power cuts, and when the power cuts happen, the computer instantly shuts down not saving any of my university work.

what kind of UPS (uninterruptible power supply) would i need to support a 600W computer and a 23inch screen?

i would like the power to stay on for at least 2-5 mins enough time for me to save my work and shut down.

UPS
    http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Peripherals/cat/UPS/subcat/Off-Line-----Standby-UPS

Power Packs
    http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Office/cat/Power-----Surge-Protection

i have no knowledge at these at all, so any help would be great! :cool

thanks,

Chris :wave

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Just in general, I would get a 600VA or so UPS, but you could go as low as 400VA for your time specified but that's pretty tight. I would set your auto document save to something you're comfortable with. I'm just curious here, is your 600W number coming from your PSU spec or actual usage? APC units are very good but pricey IMO, I have a 1025VA Ultra which I just love for price/performance though I don't know if they're available in the UK.

5. sheepondrugs

very sorry for my english grammar first of all.

my PSU is 600W. but im guessing i wont be using the Full 600W ?!

thanks for the feedback!!

6. sheepondrugs

7. augiedoggie

More than enough for your needs! AVR I believe means Automatic Voltage Regulation

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

9. sheepondrugs

thanks for all the replies, :cool

according to the Power Calculator is says 300W or there abouts. (Peak around 340W)

so realistically my PSU is only at half usage.

10. augiedoggie

Hehehe, I was right about your power needs. Anyways, see if you can find some user reviews on that Plexus UPS as the price is quite low for a 1500VA unit which includes VAT.

11. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Sheep,

The guys have covered it pretty well. A little more:The wattage of the UPS is mostly related to how long it will run the Computer when the power goes off.

Good Luck,
    Jim

12. sheepondrugs

UPS-1500 = 1500VA/900W 4x12V 7Ah

that should be plenty then! :-D

over £50 free delivery too :D lol

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds