Greek Provider Messing Up Our Lines!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guest_12345, Jul 7, 2003.

1. guest_12345

guest_12345 Guest

To the network gurus out there, I have a slight problem and it's really tearing the ass out of me... Seriously. We are an Internet cafe here in Athens. Well, After testing our bandwidth on multiple testing sites, It appears that our upload/download ratio is WAYYYY out of proportion with what I'd like to be seeing. Of course, the owners and other neanderthalic workers here don't realize this and they simply keep scratching their asses as to what exactly is going on. Forget me trying to explain to them what the problem is, these guys are like Cromags.

Anyway, testing our bandwidth reveals that were getting 350Kbps/down and a rediculously unneeded (AND TOTALLY WASTED) 970Kbps/up (!!!). WE DONT RUN SERVERS, nor do we need to. No one uploads anything, and unlike 99% of other cafes in Athens, we do not tolerate trojan-horses and we do not tolerate our machines being used as zombies to perform attacks on other machines acrouss the Internet.

I'm thinking that this could be a router misconfiguration that is causing this problem. We are running a Cisco Series 1700 router which unfortunately I do not have access to and is "fairly" secured as far as i've been "told" (although the past few days we've been dealing with a few ARP-Poisoning attacks which I have personally taking care of myself since they were coming from inside the local LAN from some moron which incidentally got his teeth busted out by the gangster-like owner of this cafe once I had caught him in the act.)

Is there ANYONE who has an idea on how this issue can be remedied short of calling OTEnet (our provider) and telling them that they've taken a dookie on the configuration settings of our line??? I just want to convert that upload to extra download because we simply dont NEED that upload bandwidth! With 25 PC's and 50 going in downstairs next week... well you can see how I feel now. The owners may be computer illiterate and not give a crap about our customers net-experience, but *I DO*!!!

-Any assistance in this matter is, of course, greatly appreciated.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you're right, those numbers should be reversed. I don't know anything about that model router suffice it to say that there must be some bandwidth throttling option at some point in the configuration that can and should be changed. You could always reset the router, but at the loss of it's current configuration and loss of connection (which I don't recommend), but that is entirely up to you. Other than that, I don't think there is much that you can do other than call your ISP and demand they look and readjust the configuration. Just provide some number to show them, maybe it might help. They're just screwing themselves.

3. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

For the ARP poisining, is the router allowing it? is it ARP poising between 192.168.0.123 and ROUTER or what? On large networks ARP poisining isn't too uncommon on large networks, truly, I'd just try to call them because I doubt it's the router so It's your best bet

4. guest_12345

guest_12345 Guest

The attacker was essentially generating a denial of service to our customers in the cafe by deliberately running ARP attack between our router (default gateway) and EVERY other machine on the LAN.

:edit:

I have no idea what the how the router is set-up because I am not allowed access, even though I have more knowledge in my penis then the "head-administrator" has 10 generations back in his family gnome. If I had any idea how the network was REALLY set up to operate, the ARP issue would have NEVER happened or even if it did, it would have been handled MUCH sooner as I would have been able to pinpoint the problem much faster then "walking around" and seeing what people are doing on there screens (which believe me is VERY difficult).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds