HELP! Getting a new gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chrustay17, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Chrustay17

Chrustay17 Private E-2

Ok.. so i have a TRS780-M1 motherboard from Tul that has on-board graphics (ATI Radeon HD 3200). I need a better graphics card to run my games, and I've pretty much sided with getting an XFX Radeon HD 4870 Video Card from Tiger Direct which is now on sale for $174.99 (If there are any better please let me know). Now, if i were to get this card, would i be able to use crossfire technology or something of that sort to get the on-board and the dedicated graphics to work together, rather than to have one run the games and the other operate the desktop?? Please help me out :) Thanks

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks! :wave

Unless I am way off, Crossfire only works with dual cards on a mobo that supports it. But an upgrade to that card should have you in great shape! A dedicated GPU card is so much better than onboard.

3. Xcom46

Xcom46 Guest

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Don't forget to have plenty of power for the card.;)

Don't forget to check what kind of of video slot you have as there are two types, AGP and PCI-E.

5. Chrustay17

Chrustay17 Private E-2

thanks i updated the graphics already! one more question.. besides the gpu, I've tried to play online with some of my games, mainly Left 4 Dead, but it seems that a lot of people have had the same problems. apparently the problem is with the router. Mine is on here -

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=1&scid=17&pid=924

i can use browsers and everything but whenever i try and connect to play online, theres always something wrong. I heard that by changing your routers IP address or something you can fix the problem, but I'm not that tech savvy. Ill re-post this on a different thread as well in the games and networking sections. Thanks

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Nah, don't do that, one thread is enough.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds