How many fans will I need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tookuu4u, Jul 7, 2003.

1. tookuu4u

tookuu4u Private E-2

My new computer:
    P4 2.4 ghz
    Asus p4c800 deluxe
    512mb ddr
    120 gb hd
    Im planning on overclocking.

This is my case: http://www.mrtechus.com/midtowatxcom81.html

It came with only one side fan, but as you can see it has two fan slots on back, and 4 slots hidden underneath the zip drive inside. How many should I buy to keep my system cool?

2. tookuu4u

tookuu4u Private E-2

How much do water cooling systems cost?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  3. Njal

Njal Private E-2

Watercooling a non-overclocked rig is pointless, costly and stands the potential of destroying the computer should any component in the watercooling system fail.

Don't bother with a watercooled set-up unless your the most extreme of overclockers who doesn't care about the inherent risks of introducing water into a high-voltage environment.

With that said, I think you would suffice with 2 fans, maybe even one but I would say two considering how cheap they are. Put one in the side panel and one as an exhaust fan. That way it should keep air inflow and outflow balanced and keep your rig running well within designed temps.

Nj

4. Cashy

Cashy Private First Class

I'll have to disagree with you there Njal
    One of the main reason I got watercooling was the fact that I was sick of sitting next to a box of noisy fans.
    with watercooling I get lower temps than with air cooled, with has got to be good for my CPU.
    If done correctly, you should never have a problem with it.

5. jonsimmonds

jonsimmonds Private E-2

water cooling is quiter and more efficent than air cooling, the only downside is its cost

6. Cashy

You can buy a kit for watercooling or get all the part seperately.
    kits usually cost more, but for someone new to watercooling, they are very easy to set up

7. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

You are completely full of it. First off, as cashy said, an advantage to water-cooling is that it is quiet. the main reason most people now adays use it. Secondly, the water used in the system, by anybody with a brain,(or knows someone with one) is de ionized, I.e. no charge carriers. I computer case is not a high voltage area, it is a low voltage area, 12/5 volts de ionized water will not conduct electricity at this voltage, a very large voltage is required. Therefore you system will not go bang if the water-cooling system goes bang. As for the water-cooling system not starting at the right time, the water block will act as a heat sink, an a simple bios setting will tell the computer to shut down after a certain temp (I.e. 60 degree Celsius) so stories of water blocks melting into motherboards are either bull or about people without a clue, much like your good self.

The correct answer to the original question is, nobody can tell you unless they have you system. its trial and error to get a temp that you find acceptable. Do you have one or two fans, what voltage should they be, ect. I have two fans on my case working, one 80mm and one 120mm. different fans put different amounts of air and have different noise levels, so size isn't everything. Know this, if your buying a cheap fan, chances are you doing something wrong. Look out for papst and panaflo, they are the best low noise fans, Also titan fans if you can find them.

8. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

The vantec stealth fans are quiet as well.

9. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

are they main stream, what the spec on one of them.

10. Njal

Njal Private E-2

Joe I find your reply unnessisarily rude, and people like you (that is rude people) in my book just suck. You talk like you know it all, but I'm sorry to say its relatively impossible to make water non-conductive. Should it spring a leak, there will be damage done. Water cooling systems also utilize fans, many times more than in an air cooled system, Yes they may be larger/slower fans but they are typically there. A non-overclocked computer doesn't have any problems getting by with quite normal air cooling methods. You don't need 5500 rpm super loud 90 cfm fans to keep a typical computer cool enough to be well within its designed operational limits.

A computer case by the way contains voltages that vary from 110 (in some countries maybe 230) volts, down to lower voltages. Just because certain components are lower voltage doesn't mean that there isn't high voltages in the case. You want to watercool your rig thats fine, but I still stand by the fact that for a non-overclocked home user watercooling is both riskier and costlier than air cooling.

11. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

that's gotta hurt! lol

I would have to agree if you are not going to oc a good quality case fan and cpu fan should do nicely

12. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

Maybe i was, but i can't stand fouls. I don't know it all, but when i offer an opinion on something i usually know the facts, otherwise i keep my mouth shut. If i say something incorrect or inacurate and get picked up on it, i don't throw a little fit.

H2O does not conduct electricity, fact, the minerials in water are what conduct electricity. Remove the minirals (desill the water) remove the ability to conduct. Why the hell do you think they sel ldeionised water with water cooling systems? for a laugh. I'm not saying waste the motherboard with the stuff, but if there is a leak(which is unlikely if the system is installed right) the deionised water is less likely to conduct the current.
    Any other person wouldn't be able to comment on this but i've done allow of work with conduction. I've tested most things to see if they wil lconduct and at what voltage and current they start to conduct. 12 volts wil lnot conduct electricity through deionised water, as the charge carrriers have been removed.

Btw i love the way you say relatively, show reall confidence that you know what your talkign about.

Depending on the system you could operate with no fans, so basically your wrong.

the only place that has 230 volts is the PSU, and the water cooling equipment shouldn't be near the PSU, besides if the psu goes, you buy a new one, hardly the whole system destroyed. As for risk and price, wel leverytime you open the case your taking a risk.

BTW i seen motherboards completely detroyed with liquid (water) then allowed to dry off an worked fine, the point was they where off at the time.

13. Cashy

yer, what he said :D:D:D

14. Njal

Njal Private E-2

Lets look at this one set at a time, and see what we have.

Your point 1, electricity does not conduct electricity. True: It is the ionic solids that make water a better conductor. De-ionized water removes most but not ALL of these solids, making it less conductable, but it is RELATIVELY impossible (please see the relatively you complained about me using in my note!) to remove all the ionic solids. Therefore its relatively impossible to make a true non-conductive water. It is LESS conductive, but not NON conductive. There is a difference.

Your point 2, A system could operate with not fans so im wrong blah blah blah. Next time quote the whole piece where I specifically said in a typical setup. Its true you can make a system with no fan, if your willing to use a large external water resevoir or over 30 feet of external radiator. But for a self contained in the PC kit, a fan would be nessisary by all standards. (Not to mention you would still have the PSU fan)

Your point 3, The only place with high voltage is the PSU blah blah wouldn't have water there blah blah. Look on any of the various watercooling project sites. The most common locations for the radiator are in the front of the case utilizing intake fans, or on the TOP of the case (Which would by all standards be NEAR the typical cases PSU location).

Your point 4, You've seen MB's completely destroyed with water be ok when dried, then you clarify and say they weren't on when they got wet. If they were on they would have been destroyed completely in probably 99 out of 100 cases. Yeah if there is no electricity present water doesn't do alot of damage (Other than causing corrosion) but most people USE thier PC's which means that if the kit leaks when its on your in for some replacements.

Nj

15. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

electricity doesn't condcut electricity, wtf. "Ionic solids" no such thing, do look up what an ion is, heres a clue electron is one proton is another. What you call ionic solids are minierials, these minerials have ions these ions are the charge carriers. i wasn't saying that destilled water (de ionized water) wont conduct, i said it wont conduct at 12 volts, your back stepping and trying to change what you said, thats why i loved the little world relatively. Relatively I'm a very sexy man, relatively i'm rich, relatively your right. Actually is another word. Actualyl i'm very very sexy, actualy i'm not rich, and actually your full of it.

you have never used a water cooling system have you? because a typical set up now adays works great with just one fan. ou don't need a huge resevoir or a huge radiator, just need to know what your doing, like i do and you dont.

Again the radiator can go anywhere and i try to avoid the psu.

I'm talking about tap water spilled on the case, or flooding. This is different to the water used in the cooling system. If the kit leaks when the system is on, yo umay or may not be in for some replacements. Read what i'm saying, de-ionised water should not conduct at 12 volts. if i was in the lab i'd test it out for you, but i'm not. The motherboard itself may be covered in minerials such as salt which would allow triple distilled water to conduct. IF so, there might be damage.

Question have you ever used a water cooling system, or is what your talking, just pub talk.

16. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

Joe, you asked about the Vantec Stealth fans, here ya go. A cut and paste from newegg on the vantec 80mm Stealth fan; VANTEC's STEALTH SF8025L 80x80x25mm / 3.15x3.15x0.98" Fan, 2-Ballbearing, DC 12V, 1.20W, 0.10 Amp, 2050 RPM, 27.0 CFM, 3-pin with 3/4-pin adaptor.

Here's another from Vantec's site; Vantec applies Stealth Technology onto their case fan to bring users a quieter system. _Up to 2600 RPM and the noise level as low as 20 dBA, Stealth Case Fan brings you the Power in Silence.

I'm using two of the 80mm stealth fans on the top of my case as an exhaust and you can barely here them running.

17. Cashy

Well this has turned out to be an interesting debate.

18. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

thats not a bad fan, i use a panaflo. that said 80mm fans are the past.

RPM: 1900
    CFM: 24
    Noise: 21dBa

just another think about watercooling safety, you may or may not be able to do this depending on your abilitym but you can put a presure guage into the system, so that if your pressure drops due to a leak, your power is switched off, thus preventing serious damage, I've never seen it in a water cooling system, but i've helped install afew in central heating systems in homes.

Btw, jsut a side note you guys may or may not have been aware of when comparing fans, and increase by 3 db in the noise level of the fan, actually doubles the sound intensity, so the difference between a 30db fan and a 36db fan can be huge. Its a little know thing.

19. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

I was actually thinking of using glycerol. Very good heat conductor, electriclly nuetral but i don't know how it would react with components in the system.

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yep Flanker12k,

Mineral Oil has been used by many to emerse the whole motherboard, memory, grahpics card howerver you do still need to keep most other parts from the tank..... and unless you like the crude way those systems are setup, Water cooling is still the most viable, plus they dont use normal cases but plastic tanks like what you store stuff in.

Other liquids also used have been

Midel 7131 & Fluorinert

The latter having been used in Cray supercomputers.. Fluorinert cooling would be nice but its cost is high.

Joe you may like to read up on Midel its not as thermaly conductive as water but interesting anyway.. as it has a slow heating rate, electrically non-conductive, non-toxic and non-corrosive.

Midel

21. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

Midel, "electrically non conductive" to what voltage? Gylcerol needs a very high voltage, something in the order of 2000 m electron volts before it conducts (but i'm not 100% on that)

midel, sounds good for a static cooling system, like transformers as you say, but i'd like to see some figures for a dynamic system.

22. DavidGP

23. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

from the figures you posted the specific heat capacity of midel is .5 where as water is 4.184 and mineral oil is .38 Now glycerol basically is a mineral oil. The unit of specific heat capacity is Jules per Celsius per Kilogram. Now I think the Americans uses calories per Celsius per kilogram. but either which way you get the point. Water isn't a great conductor, I've know this for awhile, any oil would be better. Specific heat capacity is the amount of internal energy (heat) required to change the temperature of one kilogram of a body by one degree celsius

24. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Umm so how many fans does tookuu4u
    need?;)

25. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

Pair of slient 80mm panaflo fans at 7 volts would be what i would install.

26. DavidGP

Yep on the Panaflo's or Papst

Install if you have the fan spaces in the case

1 at bottom front to intake air
    1 at back just under the PSU to expell air

But make sure the cables are also neat & tidy as they can hinder airflow.

27. qx_nerdtronic

qx_nerdtronic Private E-2

i would say one on the case's side, or the top. then one in the back for piping the air out. my new case has two in back, one on front, and one on the case window. they're all 80 mm led fans, temperature sensitive (variable speed) and look awesome. but if you don't have a case windows, jus get plain black fans. maybe i don't know what i'm talking about. if you only have the slot on the back, the case window is an easy place to cut a hole (it's acrylic, or the like) i put a fan on the side of my dell dimension (pulling air out), to cool the hard drive.

28. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

I love water no problems......over 20 units built.
    Some for pure speed lots of fans & radaitors:eek:...temps staying just above room temp.

Others @ stock clock just for the NO noise, using vantec stealth fans@900rpms one front, one back

I like to tell my friends ..hear that ....hear that...they say.....what....I say....exactly:D

Good water cooling for only $199 (how much do 4 good fans & 3 or 4 HS cost?)
    http://www.coolbreez.com/

use the micro mini coming out of the cpu back into the gpu.

Pick up a heater core from any local auto parts store ($20.00)
    8X2X6 will be as good or better then a black ice extreme 2 ($66.00)

I saw a H2O kit yesterday at fry's for only $129.00 good for stock clock.

29. qx_nerdtronic

what's the smallest water cooler i could get? oh wait this forum's about some other guy. no, wait, the universe revolves around me, so this forum has to be about me, so answer my question.

30. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Hmmm probabl a Danger Den kit with a small Rad...

I am getting dizzy spinning around qx.......:)

31. qx_nerdtronic

i'm kind of new to non-stock cooling, so could you help me out on where to get them? my mom always told me that the world doesn't revolve around me, but i think she's wrong.

32. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

Fry's, comp usa,
    http://www.coolbreez.com/ the guys I like

http://www.cooltechnica.com/ .....black ice extreme

http://www.swiftnets.com/

http://www.iceepc.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

http://www.aaronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/53/products_id/331?reff=4444 ....never used this one but it's only $77.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=water+cooling

That should get you started:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds