can you install xp on a compaq presario cq61?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willywonky, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willywonky

willywonky Private E-2

I'm trying to install xp on compaq presario cq 61.
    I get the blue screen message when i try to install, apparently because xp didn't come with SATA drivers so it doesn't regognise the hdd.
    I want to create an xp cd and slipstream the necessary drivers--but I can't find the drivers.
    they're not on the hp site, but it does have some (other) drivers that are compatible with xp and this laptop which implies it is possible (?) to run xp.
    Tried looking on the intel site but got nowhere
    (bios does not allow you to switch to ide!)
    thanks in advance!

2. ollielaroo

ollielaroo Private E-2

Hi willywonky,

I think I'm facing the same dilema.
    Have you tried using a Windows XP SP3 CD?

3. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

ru downgrading from vista?

4. ollielaroo

ollielaroo Private E-2

Yes lotus8 I'm doing my own downgrade from VISTA Home Basic to XP Pro.

(I mean it wasn't bought with the downgrade option or the XP Pro cd)

I assumed that these Compaq CQ61 laptops would have the SATA/IDE option in the bios, starnge that it doesn't don't you think. I've done this successfully twice with the likes of other laptops such as HP 6735s but they had the SATA/IDE option in the bios.

I've tried a zero fill on drive and a fresh format and then booting with an XP Pro SP3 cd and the Intel storage drivers but no matter what I do I get the Blue screen STOP error 0x0000007B. The blue screen happens just after tring to load the Intel storage driver. Maybe I'm not downloading the correct drivers? (I use my USB floppy drive to load the Intel storage drivers).

I'm thinking I about following the advice in this article in the HP forum about slipstreaming the drivers onto the XP cd eventhough the article is relevant to a CQ61 120EI (mine is a CQ61 110SA).

There must be a way to sort this out! It has to be about the correct drivers or slipstreaming the install cd with them. Maybe I could use the article I mentioned in the HP forums? what you think lotus8?

Anyone else out there having similar issues with new Compaq laptops such as the CQ61 range?

Please help. Thank you.

5. ollielaroo

ollielaroo Private E-2

6. lotus8

lotus8 Private E-2

sound like u got it on your own good job

7. ollielaroo

ollielaroo Private E-2

8. icemanx

icemanx Private E-2

ok so why do they make it so friggen hard to let us do what we want to do not the friggen computer companies that want usee to use crapista

I just want the winxp installed with NO hassles what so ever

so if anyone can give a good enough answer they are far better than all these crappy computer makers

9. jguy6

jguy6 Private E-2

icemanx,

to answer your question, if its a good enough answer for you. XP is older technology and most laptops bought today use SATA hard drives. Because of this XP does not recognize the drive because the technology wasn't out yet. this is what makes it difficult to install xp on new laptops. that's why you have to have the right drivers to allow xp to see the hard drive. hope that make sense now.

10. icemanx

icemanx Private E-2

thanks but still doesnt answer the question

so what if they create things why should it be up to the manufactures to say "OH you must use this or else dont buy it"

thats not good enough

its like the the same thing that microsoft will eventually get taken to court yet again for monopolizing the market when people complian so much that they just dont want to use crapista

its like me using winme that was an intrum OS till xp came out

I would rather stay on win98se then upgrade to xp
    and of whick I did

so now its worse than ever
    they will come unstuck one day and I will just laugh in thier faces

have a nice day I am outta here to bed!

11. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

When installing XP-Pro their is a moment when it tells you to press F2 or something if you need to install any sata drivers...

If you have a floppy drive, you can pu the drivers on a disc and the 'puter can read from that during the install.

Would be bit easier/quicker than ripping >> slipstreaming >> burning a new install disc :)

This is all dependant on you having a floppy drive which of course are becoming rarer every day :(

Q

12. icemanx

icemanx Private E-2

~Q~

nope not even slipstreaming will pick it up

if you look carefully in the bios it actually says
    FACTORY INSTALLED OS = Vista

so unless thats removed you have no chance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds