Packard Bell Imedia Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sexyandy81, May 23, 2009.

1. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello There,

This maybe a stupid question to ask but how long can i leave my desktop computer running without it overheating. I left my computer running now for nearly a month without switching it off.

I have attached my temp readings

Can you please tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You can go infinately without turning off PC if its within temp margins, if the peek temp is 58c off an Intel CPU then you're fine.

3. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

My temp is steady at 54-56c I havnt seen it go above 56 yet and thats my graphics card eveything else is really low as you can tell in my attachment.

4. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

What temp do I have to watch my computer goes up to, to start worrying about overheating.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Sorry guys, got another question for you.

I currently have installed is Ati Radeon HD2400 AGP 256MB graphics card and im looking to upgrade it to this Sapphire Radeon HD3650 512MB AGP Graphics Card will it risk my computer to overheat, or is my computer not good enough to run such graphics card. Sorry for going off thread here.

Here is a everest report on the specs of my computer see attachment. I know its not a good computer but its not bad for cheap money lol it does run rainbow six lockdown with no problems.

the link for the new grpahics card is here http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=420578&category_oid=

Attached Files:

6. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

hi, thanks for the reports so we can give you advice.

Anyway it seems you have a shitty PC like me :p

So those temps didn't record the RAM or CPU temp, nevertheless if you aren't having any crashing problems or hearing fan noises then it seems ok but I suggest you start turning the PC off everynight unless it is required to stay on for this long :p

About the gfx card your upgrading to you, yep you won't have any problems just make sure your PSU is at least 300W, I'm sure it will be.

Moving onto my final point it seems you will be playing games, remember if your going to be playing new latest games such as CoD:WaW and GTA:IV then you will have problems running them looking at your current PC specs.
    Altho nothing to worry about just test it out(gfx card) and see how it goes.

Dacads

7. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

ok thanks very much for your advice I have been playing Rainbow six lockdown, Football manager 2009, Far cry, C+C Red Alert and Delta Force Black Hawk Down. It plays them games with no problems and no graphics problems or high temps problems.

Playing these games my temp has been at 62C no higher and I have started playing half life and that plays without any problems.

I'm just looking at upgrading my graphics card at the moment

8. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello again,

I have checked my psu and it is a 250watt output do you think it will still run the new graphics card or not or shall i just go out and buy a new tower.

9. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

Get a new PSU?

Let's see what others say

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I would recommend getting a new PSU. This does not require a whole new tower. Just have a look at this article to see how to change a PSU: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5489/how_to_change_the_power_supply_on_your.html

Also, have a look at this article to see which PSU to buy: http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=208143

Your PSU is one of the most critical components of your system. As such, do not skimp on it. If you buy a cheap PSU, it may not last for longer than a month and if it fails it may damage or destroy some or all of your other components.

11. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Computer Update.

I have recently taken out the ATi Radeon HD2400 Pro Agp 256mb and replaced the card with the ATi Radeon HD3650 Agp 512mb and it works like a treat. The card is really silent and the operating temps has not been above 62C on playing games currently its at 53C and also the card is overclocked.

GPU Clock 750Mhz
    Memory Clock 490mhz

Default clock is 700Mhz
    Memory clock is 400Mhz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds