Frozen at "Windows is Loading Files..."

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrpocketz, May 29, 2009.

1. mrpocketz

mrpocketz Private E-2

Hey everyone, for the past few weeks I had problems with my laptop restarting itself while under running Windows normally. It would simply cut itself off, then reboot. I did the System Recovery from the partition, however the problem persisted.

After hours of talking to HP Tech Support, they concluded that nothing was wrong with the hardware, and that the only solution they could think of was to use the Recovery Disks.

The disks came in the mail today, and after going through the Recovery, the laptop refuses to get past the "Windows is Loading Files..." screen, regardless of how many times I try.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

couple of questions.

1. Complete computer specs? OS, RAM, processor, etc.
    2. When using the recovery disks, did it say it would format all your information and it would be lost?
    3. Did you scan for Malware/Spyware before running the restore, both system restore and the Recovery?
    4. Is there any HD activity at all when stuck on Windows is Loading Files screen? If not try hitting ESC a few times.

Other than that, corrupt Windows profile could have been the problem, and with that, it's simply a matter of backing up your user profile, deleting it and adding it again. Let us know. :wave

3. mrpocketz

mrpocketz Private E-2

Ah, right.

Its an HP Pavilion dv6810us
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1
    Processor: AMD Athlon Turion 1.8GHz Dual Core
    nVidia GeForce Go 7150m/nForce 630m
    3GB RAM

Yes, it said it would format the drives. I've got a backup on my external HD from my previous Recovery.

I doubt there was any Malware/Spyware...I had only been running it in Safe Mode since I previously restored it, as it did not work properly on a normal boot

Not sure about the Hard drive activity. I am assuming so, because the laptop is making lots of noise while stuck at the screen.

4. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Alrighty then. If you can get into Windows in Safe Mode, or get to a command prompt, try running CHKDSK (Check disk) as I've found that has resolved a lot of problems of mine that are similar.

5. mrpocketz

mrpocketz Private E-2

nah, I can't get it into Safe Mode, as I haven't been able to do anything since the Recovery, so it still needs to run through everything and set Windows up. I'm not too sure on how to get to into the cmd without Safe Mode though...

6. Plane Nuts

Plane Nuts Private E-2

I'm mrpocketz dad. Last night I again used the recovery disks HP sent to format the drive and recover Vista. Afterwards, it still hangs on boot at the white progress bar where it says 'Loading Files' on screen, for an eternity if you left it.

I tried booting into Safe Mode this morning, and it started the Safe Mode boot, but hung up and stopped loading again, with the bottom line saying \windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys and it said 'Please wait...' at the bottom of the screen.

Ideas?

7. Plane Nuts

Plane Nuts Private E-2

Yep, did the Recovery once more, still freezes at the same spot, and Safe Mode won't get past loading all the drivers.

Trying to do the recovery from the partition won't work either, since it also tries to load the Windows Files, so essentially I've got myself a 9 pound paperweight.

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Did you do a recovery or full reformat. If you did a recovery a few times and it still wont load you may need to do a full reformat but you will loose all data that is on the pc.

Looking around on google I found this.

9. mrpocketz

mrpocketz Private E-2

Yikes, realized I was logged in as my dad on that last post.

The Recovery does a reformat of the drive, and then reinstalls all of the factory settings, so I am assuming it was a full reformat (since when I did it from the partition, I lost everything anyway.)

My next step was going to pop it open, so thanks for the little step by step, although I am probably going to stick with keeping the fan in...

Well, thanks, I'll try and do that when I've got some free time.

10. Plane Nuts

Plane Nuts Private E-2

Was trolling the forums today, and realized we still had this open thread here.

I ended up getting my son's laptop fixed. He took it over to the Geek Squad a couple times to try to narrow down what exactly was going on, and kept getting different stories from them. Eventually, they found a bad stick of RAM, and replaced it. Still wouldn't work, and they couldn't find anything else wrong with it. So I ran a memory test off my diagnostic boot CD I had made, and lo and behold, the OTHER stick of RAM was bad too. The test I ran almost immediately told me the stick was bad, so I guess I don't understand how the Geeks couldn't figure it out.

Long story short, two new sticks of ram in, re-ran the Recovery disks, and the laptop was as good as new. Now if I only knew what would have caused both sticks to fail at the same time.....lightning, power surge, overheating.......

But thanks for all the help.

11. Xenith

Xenith Private E-2

I got the same issue. One thing you may want to point out in the future is whether or not you are booting using the USB method, DVD method, CD method (THERE IS ONE!) or server method. (unattended install etc)

I was going through a USB install and it seemed stuck. This is just after I was going through a really weird issue where my computer would not boot without a Windows 7 DVD inside the ROM. The solution to the latter problem ended up being awkward.

(My specs)

ASUS Motherboard M5A88-V
    16 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
    60GB Sata SS-HHD
    500GB Sata Western Digital HDD
    500 Watt PSU
    16x8 HP DVD Writer

The issue ended up being which ports the HDD's are plugged into; and ironically it seems (not 100% sure) that this was also the issue for me freezing in the windows setup. NOW my issue is this, after the Windows Installation loads and I get to the part where it asks me which hard drive I would like to install to, (The screen where you can partition and create new volumes etc), I get stuck. I can't seem to select a hard drive to install to. Both my 60 GB SSD and my 500 GB HDD can't be selected because 'Windows can not install onto Disk n Partition 1. Check to see if your BIOS has allowed this Hard Drive to be bootable'. Something along those lines anyways, I am going to try a DVD now and see if I am any luckier that approach. If you guys have any ideas just let me know. I'll be back. (With a 16x read speed, you can see why I wanted the USB approach. :p )

-Tim aka X

12. Xenith

Xenith Private E-2

Weird. The DVD works so far. I am installing to the 60 SSD as I type this. I'll update you guys with any additional info including success. Just thought I'd 411 for you peeps.

-X

13. Xenith

Xenith Private E-2

Ugh!! Installation seems completed almost; I still have to enter in the Administrator name (first user) and password, set date/time and the yadda yadda.

The issue is... NOW it wants to freeze at the windows load screen. Where typically you see the windows logo and it says, "Windows is loading". This is the normal boot screen, not the installer screen.

I am starting to lose my patience, I been on this box since 2PM today and never before have ran into so many awkward issues. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers in advance,
    -X

14. Xenith

Xenith Private E-2

*FIXED!!!*

Found the dang problem. For whatever reason removing my eSATA connection from my mobo fixed it. I am just clueless as to why all of these of issues had anything to do with my SATA connections. I mean, I 'can' see some sort of relevance but I can't come up with anything solid.

FYI, everything on my PC is brand new.
    If you guys have any ideas to why the SATA ports or the eSATA port has any effect on whether my HDD's can boot Window's and other goofy things... let me know please. I don't like not knowing why things don't work.

Happy it works now though and hope this might help someone else out!
    -X

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds