Red X on mapped drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by King, Jul 17, 2003.

1. King

King Private E-2

Hi all, I got a client that runs a 98se server, and has a couple XP pro workstations that map a drive to a share on the 98 box. The problem I'm seeing is that right after bootup, the drive has a red x, and can't be accessed through a program. Double click on the drive in my computer, red x goes away, and drive is fine the rest of the day. I've tried mapping the drive with the gui method, and also tried a batch file with 'net use' and the '/persistent:yes' switch. I've searched the internet and mskb without much luck, and would appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks in advance.

2. seaweed

seaweed Private E-2

Got around this one by using a logon script which removed the mappings and then recreated them at every login.

3. King

King Private E-2

Yea

Yea, I tried that. I finally figured it must be the difference between XP using dns for network discovery and 98 using netbeui / 'master browser' scheme. I installed netbeui on the XP machines and added a static entry in the hosts file on the XP too. I'm not sure which fixed it, I was in kind of a hurry that day. Thanks for helping though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds