How Do I Do This?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pat Brown, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

I want to switch my network over to wireless. I have 2 PCs one running win98 the other XP. Is there a way to set my printer and dial up internet connection so they are accesible by either PC no matter if they are both on or not? I also want to be able to share the dial up connection if both PCs are in use.

Is this possible, and if so what equipment will I need?

2. King

King Private E-2

ok

What you'll need is a Wireless Access Point (WAP), a print server, and a dial-up router ( I would recommend switching to broadband if possible). You can probably find all these items in one device, I haven't seen one, but I've never looked. At worst, get something like a SMC Barricade router, has a print server built in, serial port for external modem dial-up access, and a rj45 broadband WAN port for if you ever do upgrade to broadband, plus you will also need a WAP that you can tie into the router for your wireless access. If you need more info, let us know. Hope this helps.

3. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

Thanks alot King. That seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

To do the sharing I should set one up as the server computer then set the other up as the client. Then set up another connection on the latter to connect when the server is not turned on. Does this sound like the way to go or is there a more graceful way of doing this?

4. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

OK I found this router: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG824M.asp?view=hm

It has an RJ-11 port listed as an ADSL coonnection. Could I use this port to connect with standard dial-up? I live in Alaska in the middle of know where and have no chance of getting broad band in this decade. Thanks for your replys!

5. rond36

rond36 Private E-2

The router will be the server for both systems

6. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

So the router will assign IP addresses to any computer tring to connect through it?

What about the ADSL port. Will I be able to use that to conect to standard dial up connection or is that strictly for high speed applications?

7. rond36

rond36 Private E-2

Yes the router runs a DHCP server that assigns the client systems an IP address most times it will be 192.168.1.001 through 192.168.1.254

It will usually run a NATS gateway acting as a firewall.

No you can' t use the ADSL port for a dial-up connection. If it is an RJ11 port it is for an ADSL enabled phone line from the wall outlet. I am not familiar with that router and would need to read the instructions. I do believe that to do what you want to do you will need an external MODEM and a router that is made for a dial-up connection and I don't know if they even make them.

Another thing to remember when 2 computers share an internet connection they split the bandwidth. so if your bandwidth is 56k each PC will get roughly 28k but they will both try to hog the whole 56k. If one is downloading a file the other one may not even be able to load a web page before it gets timed out and gets an error 404 you will get real familiar with that page.

I have 3 PCs on my LAN but I have Cable the last time I checked my DL rate was 1544kbps

Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  8. Pat Brown

Pat Brown Private E-2

Thanks again. I found a router that has everything I need. US Robotics 8022 has a serial comm port for hooking up an external dial up modem, wifi router and print server along with a few cat 5 ether net ports.

I envy your broadband connection. I wish I could get that service up here. Thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds