HELP!! All web pages are "too big" for my screen!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nuts4Mutts, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi Everyone!

On my Dell Dimension 8200 Desktop that runs Windows XP Home, a VERY unusual thing has happened....all web pages are GIGANTIC and don't fit on my screen!

I'm not having problems with the size of the font; I checked there first to see if changing the size under "View" (in IE-7) would help, but all it did was make the font too small to read. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but it's the ENTIRE PAGE of every web site, and it's the same when I use my 'normal' browser, Firefox 3.0.

It got like this after I played a game from "Oberon-Media" (a very reliable source, so I'm not concerned that it's from malware; plus my regular AV-Scan, done automatically every week by my TrendMicro Internet Security-Pro 2009, came back clean as a whistle). When I started the game it immediately went to "Full Screen" (I normally play my games "windowed"). When I changed the "Options" in the game so it wouldn't be "full screen", EVERYTHING on my Desktop, (the icons, the fonts, as well as all the pages on ALL websites in BOTH of my browsers) suddenly looked like they were taking steroids!! It's like the game stretched and enlarged everything, and I don't know how to get it back to the way it was!

I did right-click on my Desktop>Properties>Advanced, and changed the size of
    my Desktop icons and their font sizes, but as for the rest of my PC's "enlargement", I haven't the foggiest idea how to re-size my browser's windows! :confused

Would doing a "System Restore" to before I played the game work, or is there a better way to get everything back to it's normal size? I'd like to know for future reference in case this happens again!

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully appreciated!

Best Regards,
    Nuts4Mutts

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Hello Nutts4Mutts,

Questions:
    Did you restart?
    Have you tried also resetting your display size? (Probably dropped ya down to 800x600 or something)
    Also, if you choose "Ctrl" and roll your scroll wheel mouse, (if this applies) it will increase/decrease your web browser's size. Maybe that may have happened by accident.

Let us know. :)

3. Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Private E-2

Hi Everyone!

To "Elder_Usr".......A million "Thank Yous", my friend!!! You must have been looking at my PC by mental telepathy or some other power.....you hit the
    problem right on the head!!! My DPI WAS taken down to 800 X 600; as soon as I reset it back up, everything was back to normal!!! (Now all I have to do is re-size my desktop icons and fonts.....that was MY relative newbie's attempt to get things back to normal!) Thank you again for teaching me such a simple fix....I'll ALWAYS remember it!! Thank you!!! :)

To "DomLuc"......Thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem. Had I downloaded a game to try from an "unknown source", I would've done exactly
    what you suggested, as I would've thought it was a malware problem, too; however, I've been buying games from Oberon-media since I got my first PC almost 10 years ago, and their games are all "safe". Also, I have an excellent Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/Firewall program, "TrendMicro Internet Security-Pro 2009", and it is VERY FUSSY about what it lets in. Also, once a week it scans my C-Drive, and I also use "CCleaner" after, just to make sure nothing bad get's missed! Thanks for your suggestions....I really appreciate
    your input.

Well, Friends.....another day, and I learned something NEW! That's how I know I'm not losing my marbles! ;)

Gratefully,
    Nuts4Mutts :)

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

This is an old thread! Would suggest that you start a new one with your problem! Is the computer in question a laptop or a desktop? :)

5. BillieMc8

BillieMc8 Private E-2

I'm seeming more and more like an idiot - how do I start a new thread? This is very tedious.:-o

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

At the top left of this forum page is a tab that is labeled new thread, click on it, list your problem and submit. :)

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. BillieMc8

BillieMc8 Private E-2

Ok - that must be what is happening. I did find this on a Google search, and I don't have a new thread button. I only have a POST REPLY button. So - now what. Will someone start a new thread for me, or PLEASE tell me what to do. Thanks. :cry

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds