Excessive FP's with RemoveIt Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by LennyW, Jul 4, 2009.

1. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

I've been getting many FP's with RemoveIt Pro v4-SE (4.65 rating). I report them to InCode Solutions (with links to the VT scans) and they are fixed within 1-2 definition updates, but with the new database comes additional FP's.

This is getting quite frustrating and I'm ready to uninstall it. Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, I only use RemoveIt as a second opinion demand scanner to Comodo Internet Security 3.10.******.530 and SAS Pro resident. I also use MBAM, A-Squared, ClamWin, Dr. Web CureIt and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool as demand scanners. Overkill, I know.rolleyes

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

RemoveIT Pro has always had an unusually high number of false positives in my experience. The trick is to try to understand what's false and what's real. However, I generally only run it as a final 'clean-up' after other scans with Super AntiSpyware and MalwareBytes and other apps have removed most everything. RemoveIT Pro is great at picking up obscure things that some other scans may have missed, but due to the false positives, I run it last. That way I can be fairly sure of the scan results, and I'll research anything it detects BEFORE it is removed. Because it is run last, most of the time it only picks up 3 or 4 things, and of these items, one (or none) of the files is a true infected file.... I then report the false positives and move on. RemoveIT Pro is a great program for obscure infections and malware that may have been overlooked by other scans, but IMO it should not be used as a primary (or even secondary) scanning program due to the high probability of a false positive. I can remember a couple of years ago, I ran a scan with it and it removed a bunch of AOL files! LOL But, then again, AOL is almost a virus, isn't it?? roflmao LOL

[dlb]

3. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Thanks DomLUC, I just sent InCode another batch of 4 FP's. It would seem they don't test their definitions before release, sort of reminds me of A-Squared 4 or 5 years ago. If the FP's continue I'll just uninstall the program.

Yes, I also use MBAM free as I mentioned above. It never finds anything, but it's nice to have as a demand scanner. I truly believe that Comodo (loyal user since 2006) is blocking/detecting any threats before they get on my systems (XP x 2, full Comodo suite on one, Comodo firewall with Defense+ [HIPS] and Avast AV on the other).

4. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Thanks dlb, lol @ AOL. :-D I usually run RemoveIt after other scanners, but still get too many FP's. Of course I scan any detections at VirusTotal and elsewhere before deciding if it's real or not (it never is). I guess I'm just a bit disappointed with the program. :banghead

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds