Wireless Network Across 1500+ft

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J15BIG, Jul 24, 2003.

1. J15BIG

J15BIG Private E-2

Hey everyone,
    A friend of mine works at an auto detailing business and they just bought another shop about 1500ft or so away from their main shop. They need the computers in each shop to be networked. My friend called me because he knows I have a wireless network at home. I have an 802.11g network in my house and I get a crappy signal 30 ft in front of my house. Is there an access point or something that would expand the network range 1500ft? I did a quick search and this is the best thing I found. Will this work? Any help appreciated.

thanks

2. PsYcHoSiD77

PsYcHoSiD77 Private E-2

Sorry man, no can do, even if you could, you would have every business within a 1500 foot residence leeching off of your internet.....

3. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

No because leaving you WAN unencrypted is stupid. If you truly think that maybe you should upgrade from letter shift/DES? Most standard routers come with basic encryption (hell DES is better then nothing, although if you got the gov after you that may prove to be problematic :))

If it's bad at 30 feet then you're doing something wrong, horribly wrong, either you're using a, or just a horrible router, I go for the second. Whatcha using?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2003
  4. J15BIG

J15BIG Private E-2

Im using the Netgear WGR614 router. I think the problem could be the PCMIA card in the laptop. Its an SMC, are they crappy?

5. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Don't know about the PCMIA card about to my expierence Netgear is pretty low quality stuff.

6. J15BIG

J15BIG Private E-2

What would be a better choice then for my router?

7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

The best would be Cisco but that usually isn't the best price for home (although look around, might find a good cheap one) or if you can't get a cisco, then I guess a linksys... But I would recommend looking around.

8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Are you talking 30 feet from your router or 30 feet from the front of your house? I mean, if your signal is fine everywhere inside the house, you've got no problem at all, do you?

As far as the networking, probably the cheapest overall solution is to rent or install a land line between the two buildings. As far as wireless, the only options that should go out to 1500 ft reliably would involve antennas on rooftops. 802.11 isn't meant for WAN linking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds