Most downloads are corrupt

Discussion in 'Software' started by godotishere, Jul 28, 2009.

1. godotishere

godotishere Private E-2

I've been googlin' and looking through forums and nothing has helped.

Most of anything i download is corrupted. Occasionally, a small file or some random file will be ok, but besides that, i'm screwed if i have to download anything. If I torrent something, it greatly increases the chance of being able to run whatever i download, so it has been my temporary work around. Now, my Panda Cloud Antivirus refuses to protect my comp until i download the new one, which I cannot do. So, without an anti-virus program, the urgency of this problem increased 10 fold.

Ive tested my memory with no errors, uninstalled sp3 and ie8. I usually run firefox as my browser, but no browser so far has allowed me to download anything. Its eleven at night here so i havent called my isp, but i will when i get a chance.

Any thoughts?

2. godotishere

godotishere Private E-2

Down them all was successfully installed. Unfortunatly it was of no help getting a non-corrupt AV program.

Just a little background on the SP3 IE8 uninstall, i read that some guy was having the same problem b/c he had installed IE7 before SP3 or something like that.

I should also note that i have just recently reformatted, and i never had this problem before. this corruption issue has been going on ever since the reformat.

I'll work on some maintenance issues. I assume that most of what I need is in the http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650 post, but if there is anything beyond this that i need to do, any suggestions help!

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Here's, why DL prompted you to get a download manager :)

Impossible for us to know what apps you have downloaded and installed and if the file/torrent was clean :confused

I'm wondering... Your downloaded Panda installer/setup.exe is fine - just won't run and install if your system has malware :(

Strange.. Unless you started using torrents on an unsecured PC.

You may have to go through the Read &Run.http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I hope I'm wrong..Hmmm :)

Cheers...

4. godotishere

godotishere Private E-2

Ran sfc /scannow and rebooted. No dice.

Now I will go on the Read and Run quest. I hope your wrong too, but I'll give anything a shot! Its a teachable moment for me. I'll let you know how the Read and run turns out.

A few side notes: 1) I'd say around 50% of the time when I try to play a flash game, it fails to download the first time. If i dump my cache, i have another 50% shot at it running again. Kind of weird.

2) how much better off would i be just reformatting?

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

6. godotishere

godotishere Private E-2

I appreciate this hrlow2. i was running panda cloud mainly because i could not DL AVG (i have a paid subscription for it). My plan is to download the necessary programs (Antivirus and whatever else i need for that malware read and run) and i will check back with the forum tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your input so far! Talk to ya soon!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds