Can not clear DNS Cache

Discussion in 'Software' started by mkstainton, Aug 2, 2009.

1. mkstainton

mkstainton Private E-2

I can not get onto Itunes to purchase new songs. I get a window that says "Make sure your network is active and try again". I checked with the help there and it says to clear my DNS cache by going to cmd and typing ipconfig / flushdns. When I do that, I get the response "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution." I then tried to repair my network connection from control panel but it will not clear the DNS cache there either. I re-booted my modem and router but strike three. Anyone have a suggestion as to why I can not get onto ITunes or if it is the DNS Cache, how to clean it? Oh... I also ran CCleaner, so I guess that is strike 4.

Thanks.

2. mkstainton

mkstainton Private E-2

I am sorry, I do not understand what your reply means. How do I check if it is running or not? I ran the microsoft fix and that did not help.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Start>>Run>> Services.msc
    Scroll down to DNS Client.

Cheers..

4. mkstainton

mkstainton Private E-2

Thanks...It was disabled at startup and not running. I made it automatic but it still does not clear. I was able to connect to I tunes, I had to turn off the firewall and I can connect. I am still puzzeled by the DNS, is it a problem that it will not clear the cache?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version?

What firewall do you have? and double check that itunes is allowed through it automatically, even goto the lenght of deleting any references to itunes and apple apps in your firewalls software/app list and then when you open the apps up make sure you allow them.

What other security software do you have installed?

After you did what Dom/Sikvik mentions above in restarting the DNS service, and setting its Startup type to automatic, did you reboot? if not reboot, and make sure you have logged into the admin account.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

7. mkstainton

mkstainton Private E-2

That worked! Thank you all very much for your assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds