No sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by lancelot_69, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok hold your hat this is a long tough one! I recently had issue's with a sp3 update, so I reloaded windows xp. Then I changed the body on my computer, which entailed removing the motherboard, cd-rom, a: etc.. I have got every thing running but I have no sound! I have used driver detective to get all the updates for drivers. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the sound card ( although the computer did not acknowledge new hardware when rebooted) I have checked all volume controls, I went into performance area to make sure the windows audio was on. Plus much more I am probably forgot to mention! It bothers me that it did not acknowledge the reinstall of the sound card but what do I know :p Any suggestions?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved thread to drivers as best area for your question and to get those that deal in driver issues to see it.

What is either your PCs make and model or the make and model of the motherboard? at times apps like driver detective are not the best as they dont always get the correct driver as many OEMS have the likes of Realtek create custom drivers, so always best to start of with the original drivers for the PC or mobo.

Do you have any yellow ! makes in device manager by any devices, if so what? Main driver thats normally left out is the Chipset/Motherboard so make sure that has been installed, then install the Audio one again *but the audio driver from the original maker*

Also in Services, check that Windows Audio Service is set to Started and Automatic.

3. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Sorry about placing this in the wrong thread, but I did suspect it might be a software problem. Any how, I have no yellow marks in device manager. As for the main driver for the motherboard I am not sure where to locate it, or recall now if I did locate it and installed it. I will try to find that out. I did check in services that windows audio was on, my mistake was saying I checked in performances. I also attached the everest report.

I have an A-open computer, running windows xp

Attached Files:

4. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Can someone at least direct me to where I could get the driver for motherboard? I have google this to death and ready to throw the computer in the garbage and hunt bill gates down to torture him the way he has tortured me!

5. DavidGP

HI

Chipset here

Audio here

Your motherboard is an AOpen AX4B and downloads center for Aopen is here

6. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok, I downloaded all of the links, installed them. Then rebooted. When I rebooted, I went to control panel, sound devices (or where you check settings) I was informed I had no sound devices ( they were there before install). No problem, I uninstalled sound devices, then rebooted. PC detected new sound card, proceeded to check all volumes, adjusted volume settings to high. Unchecked all that were muted, checked to make sure all devices were enabled, went to services to make sure windows audio were set on automatic. Every thing fine and dandy! Except no sound. I am lost and lonely! Must torture bill gates! Any suggestions?

7. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Now I have been thinking about this problem, when I download all this stuff, unzip it, it goes into a temp file. Does this actually load to where I need it? Or do I have to update the hardware by selecting this driver? If I have to update the hardware by selecting the driver, how do I know which one is which? Is there a step by step method to doing this? I have noticed that when you update the hardware you have to select the specific file! Any ideas? And should I remove the first attempt or just copy over them? Thanks for all your help Halo!

8. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Ok! I believe I have installed all the drivers correctly. The chipset I believe you just click on to install, the audio driver I installed in ac'97 audio controller and the motherboard driver I just had to click on also. Is this correct? If it is, I still have no sound! If it is not correct, please inform me as to what I am doing wrong. After all the installs I did check that Windows Audio Service is set to Started and Automatic, checked all sound levels, made sure all devices are enabled and checked to make sure there are no yellow markers by devices. I am lost. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

9. DavidGP

Hi

No you did the correct steps, kinda worry if AOpen have different models with same name in differening countries, the drivers I found where from their home site in Taiwan, need to check USA/Canada next.

Remove your Audio driver form Device Manager and then install the below, in the order typed

The only thing that could be missing is the UAA driver, then try the Audio driver from AOpen again, found the USA site here.

10. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well I tried that and it did not work either. Although I must tell you I did us the U.S. version, maybe I should try the taiwan version? I think maybe tomorrow I will un-install the sound card, remove all the drivers and start from scratch again just incase! It also bothers me that sound max has not shown up! Once again though I have to thank you for your effort! I know your trying, I just wonder what I am doing wrong lol!

11. DavidGP

Hi

Not a bad idea to uninstall and start a fresh and I would try this and fool your SP3 into thinking its SP2 and installing the UAA drivers and then the Audio ones but this time these little more digging and Aopen is not a great site for info, so went off the Chipset Media HW in the Intel 82801BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5]

Dont knwo, as think you are doing everything correctly, just disable any security applications when installing to rule them out, plus you have no other yellow ! marks in device manager (maybe apart from audio)?

12. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well I did one better than uninstall, a friend of mine gave me a 80 g hard drive, so I formatted it, installed windows xp sp2. Then I proceeded to get all updates, checked all audio was on running etc. Every think okey dokey no yellow any where, went to WMD_A406, come to find out it is not compatible with windows! Hmm I never seen that before, must have happened when I went for smoke. So I am at a loss as to what to do now!

13. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well off to the garbage heap with this p.o.c.! I have done every thing in the world! Spent 2 weeks of my life trying to fix the sound! No luck no how! Does not deserve a minute more of anyone's time! It will not even allow me to update the drivers! Microsoft suck die bill gates! Thanks for all your effort I am of too buy a mac!

14. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I don't think the problems are Bill Gates fault, or have anything to do with Windows. The motherboard is at least 7 years old, is more-or-less obsolete, and there's a good chance that it has started to fail at the board level. You could always buy a cheap used sound card at the local used PC shop and pop it in, and it should set you back no more than $10 or $15. On the other hand, you can get a modern motherboard that still uses the socket 478 CPU for about $55 (link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138079), and it uses DDR2 memory which is really inexpensive, about $15 or $20 for 1gb, or a 2gb kit for under $30 (link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141211). So, for under $100 you could get some newer gear and still use the older CPU, but all new gear (including a new CPU) isn't a bad idea either. The dual core and triple core AMD chips (like the 550 and 710/720) are inexpensive and have amazing power for the price, and they can be overclocked something fierce!

15. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Well I installed a new motherboard and every thing is fine with the world! I still say its Bill Gates fault! Thank you for all your help Halo! Greatly appreciated, nice to see there are good people still out there, even if they are in here lol! Thanks for your time and patience!

16. DavidGP

Hey lancelot, glad you finally have this fixed albiet with a new mobo, dont think the drivers where wrong or you where installing them wrong, just wonder if the mobo had just expired or was on the road the failure.

No probs, we see the frustration and have to deal with it ourselves with PCs and their quirks, so your welcome on any help we can give.

17. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

I believe the mother board just expired under all the stress I put it under lol! Again thanks for the great support, I did use all the info to load the drivers in the new install! So all was not lost just my patience for microsoft lol!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds