q6600-all cores not running with software??

Discussion in 'Software' started by xray, Aug 3, 2009.

1. xray

xray Private First Class

Hi,

My problem is that I have been using DVD Flick to compile some DV onto DVD.
    I was told that the software uses all 4 cores (or both on a dual core) to make the encoding very much faster..
    However on my system this fails to happen and only 1 single core hits 90-100% the rest just idle about..
    I have changed the check box in the software to use 4 cores.
    yet nothing...
    I have checked that all core work by running Prime95 for 20min no problem.!

Can anyone shine light on this OR guide me to some software for converting DV to DVD that will be faster and use my systems resources to there potential.

:confused

I am using :
    Vista 64bit Ultimate.
    Asus P5k VM
    Q6600
    Corsair XMS2 DHX 4 x 2GB
    Nividia Gforce 8800 GT 512mb
    WD Velociraptor 150GB
    Samsung spinpoint F1 1TB

Thanks all...

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

There should be an option to set that. I don't use the software personally, though, from the release notes on sourceforge (since :DVD Flick 1.2.1.4)

- Added: Option to specify the amount of threads FFMPEG uses. This is set to the number of logical CPUs by default. Multi-core and (less so) HyperThreading CPUs will get a significant speed boost from this when encoding video.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes theefool, the option is in DVDflicks Project Settings > General menu and can set threads aka the cores, and also the Encoder priority to high.

4. xray

xray Private First Class

theefool...I have set the Threads to 4 and the process priority to HIGH !

Dont understand whats happening ?? :confused

plodr..Sorry posted twice ..my Bad..

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try this at Windows level, start DVDflick and then ctrl-alt-del and click Processes tab look for dvdflick.exe *32 and right click it and set Affinity to all cores ticked if not already, then set Priority to High and see how it goes then.

6. xray

xray Private First Class

all cores ticked !! thanks for the suggestion though..:)

Attached Files:

7. xray

xray Private First Class

dvd flick set as this >

Attached Files:

8. xray

xray Private First Class

dvd flick set as this with threads @ 4 and process Above Normal. still not using all 4 cores ???>

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds