Argh! Wireless Drivers for x64 MS XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dan_The_Man, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Hey guys,

I'm really stumped looking for these drivers. Last October I got a Dell XPS M1330 with Vista preloaded on it. Lately it's been slowing down a lot, so I decided to try out the Windows XP Pro 64 bit. I was able to get most of the drivers installed without too much hassle...

Except for the wireless network card. I really can't find drivers that will run on a x64 bit OS. The M1330 Dell XPS is a pretty common laptop, so I'm sure there are others who have had the same question...but I didn't find it on the forums.

My device manager describes my network cards as:
    -1394 Net Adapter
    -Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet

Neither Dell, Broadcom or MS have the drivers for Windows XP Pro 64 bit. I'm getting really frustrated actually.

Anyone know where to find something to make my lappy pick up a wireless signal?

This is my laptop:
    Dell XPS M1330 (Laptop)
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU=2.10Ghz
    4.00 Gb of RAM
    HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW GSA-S10N
    300Gb of {I have no idea}
    Standard 13" Plug/Play m1330 Display
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

2. markj

markj Private E-2

To my knowledge, the devices you've mentioned do not appear to be wireless adapters.

As far as I know, the "1394 Net Adapter" is a FireWire adapter with wired networking capability, and "Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet" must obviously be an ethernet, and thus wired, adapter.

3. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Why are those the only network adapters showing up in my device manager?

When Vista was on it (preloaded) the computer had no problem accessing the internet, which means the hardware is present. Where can I find out what it is?

4. markj

markj Private E-2

Well, if the device driver is not supplied with Windows distribution it might be listed as an unrecognized device or maybe not listed at all.

I think you can look at what kind of wireless network device drivers Dell provides at support page for your computer. Several wireless devices are listed there, so your system must have come with one of them. So what you would need now, is to try and find these drivers for Windows XP x64, and one of them should be the right one.

Maybe you just could do a clean install of Vista, and performance would improve.

5. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Okay ...I think I'm getting somewhere... (if anywhere).

I have a 1505 Dell wlan card. Dell customer service told me that the drivers for my system don't exist for windows xp (any version) because the laptop was built to run Vista only.

I'm sure there are people who have bought this laptop and wanted Windows XP on it. I found a few sites on Google, but the links to the drivers I need are dead.

Like you said Mark, the drivers is located in the device manager (well the hardware at least) under "Other devices --> Network Controller"

I'd be really bummed it I had to go back to Vista, because having a fresh install of XP on my system (without the internet working) has reminded me of just how much faster I can have my OS going.

6. markj

markj Private E-2

Perhaps you could try drivers for "Dell Wireless 1505 Mini-Card" from here. They are listed to be for both Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP x64.

7. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Damn. I wish I saw that 20 min. ago.

I'm told that Vista 64 bit is preferable to 32x as well... atm my laptop is installing vista 32 bit again, because I need to update my online businesses and do some work on that computer.

I hope that driver you listed works...it gives all the signs that it would.

If I knew how to "thank" your post I would...but the "thanks" button is nowhere.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds