Pass Word Removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by hwmsh, Aug 4, 2009.

1. hwmsh

hwmsh Private E-2

I have been given a computer from a school that is getting newone's. I have used a password reset utility to remove the Admin, and Guest password with no luck. When I restart the computer, after pressing ctrl, alt, del. I'm still not able to get in.

Any suggestion???????

2. Sir_GeekALot

Sir_GeekALot Private E-2

You probably wont be able to get in. Computers from schools are typically set up this way to prevent outsiders or unwanted users from logging in. Best bet would be to reformat/reinstall with the OS of your choice. Ubuntu anyone?

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Just a question to save confusion! Is this a bios "power on" password or a Windows password? Does the computer boot to Windows and then request a password, or does the password request come up as soon as the computer is turned on? :)

4. ComputerClinic

ComputerClinic Private E-2

Well, you have a few options at your disposal:

-try logging in to the administrator account via safe mode and changing the password from there.

-download ophcrack, burn it to a cd, and boot using the cd to crack the password

-use UBCD4WIN. This boot CD has a few different password tools. I prefer Password Renew for changing the password. However, to build UBCD, you need to provide your own copy of a Windows XP CD.

-Format the HDD and reinstall the OS. This is the best option IMO. This way you have a fresh slate to work with and it will run just like a new PC. (assuming there are no hardware problems)

5. I am supprised they give you a machine they have not formatted, any machines my college give away are either given with no HDD's or a multipass format.

The above suggestions should do the trick though mate :)

6. hwmsh

hwmsh Private E-2

The computer boot to Windows and then request a password.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds